Topic: 1932 V8 firewall holes?

Grant    -- 11-26-2017 @ 3:48 AM
  How many holes should there be in an unmolested 1932 V8 Victoria firewall?

3w2    -- 11-26-2017 @ 3:17 PM
  While I trust your question is sincere, its open-ended nature without reference to the size of the holes is something of a first, at least for me. Please see the attached photo. The firewall in the photo is neither missing nor has any 'extra' holes in it.

P.S. Except for variations in very early and very late firewalls they were all the same regardless of body type, be they for passenger cars, commercial vehicles, or big truck at any point in time during the '32 model year.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 11-26-17 @ 3:18 PM

Grant    -- 11-27-2017 @ 5:01 AM
  Great photo. Thanks for posting it. I don't have a copy of the D. Rehor 1932 book here.

Attached are two photos of what I believe to be a V8 1932 Ford firewall which surfaced at an estate sale on November 18.

The old guy built a Vicky stock car in 1955 according to the executor. A truckload of assorted original '32 parts had been stored indoors since that date. They have been rescued and are now here.

Is it possible that the firewall in your photograph was intended for use in a Model B four cylinder 1932? It doesn't seem to have as many holes as this one, most of which look factory-made to me.

Would the twelve slotted-head screws around the perimeter be genuine FoMoCo fasteners?

The Victoria may have been a Ford of Canada product rather than Ford of USA. It was disassembled about 100 miles east of Detroit in the province of Ontario.

Grant    -- 11-27-2017 @ 5:04 AM

Second photo ..........

3w2    -- 11-27-2017 @ 9:18 AM
  There were no unique-to-fours or unique-to-V8 firewalls; they were all the same at any point in time regardless of engine type.

The only reason you and I can tell that your firewall was used on a V-8 chassis is the accelerator assembly and the firewall insulator on the inside. Remove those and there's not evidence left of what engine it was used with (other than witness marks around holes that had fasteners through them).

Except for possible timing differences in when changes were adopted, Ford U.S. and Ford of Canada '32 firewalls were identical.

I count nine extra, non-original holes in your firewall. They are scattered all over.

The screws retaining the firewall insulator are originals (the later version of the fasteners used for that purpose).

Grant    -- 11-28-2017 @ 9:09 AM
  Thanks for taking the time to respond, 3w2. Much appreciated.

Some time soon there will be an assortment of 1932 parts listed for sale on this site ............ the firewall, a steering column with box and wheel, gas tank, rear end assembly with leaf spring, rear (?) bumper brackets, fender braces, Victoria rear headliner bow with mounting plates, Victoria garnish moldings, rear window with wood frame (Victoria only ?), door windows, running boards, etc.

I'd like to see this stuff go to an Early Ford V8 Club member.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11420