Topic: Oil Filter Assembly for 1936 Ford

36fordor    -- 04-23-2010 @ 11:23 AM
  Any options/sources for obtaining an oil filter assembly for my stock 1936 Fordor? Has no oil filter now. Have been searching eBay, Mac's, Hemmings, etc. without success. Thanks.

tudorbilll    -- 04-23-2010 @ 12:59 PM
  Why bother Just change the oil once a yr or 600-1000 mi.These modern oils are great for this.

36fordor    -- 04-23-2010 @ 1:02 PM
  What oil's recommended? My Ford guru says NAPA non-detergent 30 wgt.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-23-2010 @ 2:11 PM
  I had a oil filter and took it OFF,
for the amount of oil it filters, it not worth it,
its not a full flow system,and only filter some of the oil,and i was concerned about the age of the flex lines that came with the filter.
I just change my oil more often,
save your money , and buy good oil 20-50 for the summer,
30 sae is ok,
it all depends how old the engine is and if it is dirty inside,
if it is rebuilt and clean,Use the Modern 20-50 oil, this will keep it clean,has a detergent in it.,
if it is a older engine use the straight 30 oil,non detergent. this will not disturb the old oil sludge in the engine,in the pan and inside the block and valve galley. etc etc,,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 04-23-2010 @ 2:58 PM
  I've worked on a couple of 36's, both working ranch trucks. Neither one had filters. I do disagree however, that a partial-flow filter is of no value. My 38 wagon didn't come with a filter, but subsequent engine changes ranging from a 40 truck engine through 8CM's and finally back to a 59A have all had the later style head bolt mounted filter housing which of course is not as Henry-Built-It "correct".

Even though the oil flow is "split" at the bell-housing oil port, a percentage of oil passes through the filter. The upside is that if the filter were to plug-up (a common occurrence in the days that used such filter media as Fullers Earth), the oil would simply by-pass the filter. With a partial-flow system, in time, all the oil statistically flows through the filter. So, given the number of passes that oil makes through the engine in a given mile, a partial-flow system in time, does filter all the oil.

I'm probably going to PO a lot of people with the following comment: Detergent (dispersant) oils are
designed to keep contaminants in suspension. Non-detergent (non-dispersant) oils do not. In the pre-WWII days, oils were predominantly non dispersant. Various means were adopted to trap the sludge producing contaminants, including "sludge traps" in crankshafts, generous valve chamber pockets, etc. None of these built-in physical barriers work with non-dispersant oils.

If there was ever a need for filtration, it is with modern oils, which are specifically designed
NOT to precipitate-out contaminants. I think it would be very hard today to find any oil brand
rated "detergent" or "non-detergent" that doesn't in fact contain dispersant additives.

So...If we have contaminants circulating in our oil system, doesn't it make sense to remove them, even if it is only a "little at a time"? We also tend, for historical correctness,as a group, to embrace the standard "wetted Brillo-Pad" air cleaners. These are also of dubious efficiency, and Ford offered oil-bath replacements for those "that cared". For those of us who lived in the dusty
Southwest, they were of little value in engine protection.

supereal    -- 04-24-2010 @ 11:28 AM
  I agree with Dan. Non detergent oil is fit only for oilcans. Before detergent oil, we used to spend lots of time grubbing gobs of sludge from oil pans and valve chambers. Some engines, such as Ford tractors, actually had a big cleanout panel on the bottom of the engine for that purpose. Bypass oil filters certainly are not as efficient as today's "full flow" type, but if you think that lots of oil isn't going thru it, just leave the cap loose (don't ask). I use modern paper air filters in old cars. That is one place where up-to-date technology is best. Henry Ford didn't like filters of any kind. In the Model A, he had the carb air intake face backward in the belief the car would outrun the dirt as it drove ahead!

TomO    -- 04-25-2010 @ 8:14 AM
  I agree that the modern detergent oils are much better for our old cars than the non-detergent oils.

I removed my oil filter because I wanted to put my car on the Concourse and I did not like dealing with the leaks with the hose going into the timing cover, or the mess of changing the canister type filter with every oil change. I change my oil every fall before storage and during the summer when it starts to look dirty.

If you are not going to put your car on the Concourse, I would recommend installing the filter adapter that uses the spin on type filter. It will do a better job of filtering and is not as messy to change as the canister type filter.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1142