Topic: gas tank

JohnA    -- 11-25-2017 @ 3:02 PM
  about 15 yrs ago I had a liquid bladder( Renew) installed in my gas tank.Lately I noticed little white pieces of something in the glass bowl on my fuel pump,which I think is the bladder breaking down,any fixes or am I looking at new tank.Other than pieces coming off inside tank it"s pretty good shape.Tanks on 1948 Ford 2dr sedan.Thanks Johna

trjford8    -- 11-25-2017 @ 5:06 PM
  It's obvious that the internal coating or bladder is breaking down. You have two options and both include pulling out the tank. You can have your original tank stripped and recoated or purchase a new tank. The stripping and recoating may cost more than a new tank and you still have the potential of this happening again. If it were me, I would opt for the new tank. I have replaced a tank in a '46 Ford and it is a fairly easy task. The only issue may be you could possibly be forced to use an aftermarket sending unit. Some of the tanks will not accept the original sending unit.

TomO    -- 11-26-2017 @ 8:10 AM
  I just had the yellow coating removed from my Lincoln tank. The cost was $75. I used Hirsch sealer. Check around at various radiator shops or Redi-Strip type shops. Most liners can be removed with a paint stripping process, one of them requires heat to loosen the coating.

Even if it cost more, I would try to save the tank, the after market sending units are never as good as the original Ford unit. If I could not save the tank, I would save the sending unit mounting ring and have it installed on the new tank.

Tom

len47merc    -- 11-26-2017 @ 8:49 AM
  x2 on the full extent of TomO's reply.

If your tank repair shop cannot confidently, effectively and with warranty remove the old liner, repair if necessary and reline/reseal the old tank then find another shop that can. Typically when a good shop is through with this type of repair and preservation they are proud to have you inspect with scope the entirety of the interior.

Steve

JohnA    -- 11-26-2017 @ 11:27 AM
  O.K. will check local rad. shop.Rad shop that did bladder is still around.Thks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11419