Topic: anti-freeze in exhaust...head gasket or?

MICHV8    -- 11-24-2017 @ 1:17 PM
  I'm working on this tired 59AB and ran it for about 20 minutes today to see if the valves will free up using Tom()'s MMO method. So far, I haven't seen a compression change in cylinders 1-3 (zero) so I will remove the intake manifold next for any additional clues. However, I have no exhaust on the passenger side and noticed that a couple drops of anti-freeze dripped out of the exhaust manifold. Does this normally suggest a head gasket problem or a block problem. There is no anti-freeze on the dip stick...
Thanks for the help.

supereal    -- 11-24-2017 @ 1:35 PM
  Anti freeze out the exhaust almost always indicates a bad head gasket or a block crack. As you say didn't find a trace in the oil, it could be a crack in a valve pocket of the block. Check the cylinder head for cracks after removing it, as well. Having no exhaust on one side and low or no compression is a serious problem, and the engine should not be run until you find it. Even if you don't see antifreeze on the dipstick, it is very likely there is oil contamination. Hold a match or other heat source under the dipstick when you have it out. If the oil sputters, there is moisture present.

MICHV8    -- 11-25-2017 @ 5:06 AM
  Supereal,
I didn't describe the exhaust situation properly...I have no exhaust pipe on the passenger side, but get plenty of exhaust manifold discharge from the running engine. That is where I saw the couple drops of anti-freeze on the garage floor. After fixing the crab distributor, the engine actually runs fairly well. Is it possible that the passenger head is expanding non-uniformly due to compression at cylinder 4 and no compression at cylinder 1-3, thus allowing water jacket leakage through the head gasket?
Thanks again...

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 11-25-17 @ 5:08 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 11-25-2017 @ 5:39 AM
  it is easy to "punch" thru to the water jacket if you use too long a bolt in the exhaust manifold. remove the last bolt above the starter and see if it leaks out anti-freeze. I have seen this happen numerous times on 59ab engines. take a look

TomO    -- 11-25-2017 @ 9:25 AM
  I agree with my good friend, Supereal. You should not run the engine any more and need to disassemble it to check for head and block failures. Running the engine could cause serious damage if the cause for anti-freeze leakage is just a head gasket. Pulling just the intake manifold will not tell you anything about the leak.

Tom

MICHV8    -- 11-25-2017 @ 4:20 PM
  I'll remove that exhaust manifold just for the heck of it and then pull the head.
Thanks guys...much appreciate the help

MICHV8    -- 11-27-2017 @ 5:31 AM
  alanwoodieman,

Are you referring to the last top bolt on the exhaust manifold or the last bottom bolt...mine are at, maybe, at 30 degree angle not vertical...

Also, this is unique to the 59AB?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11417