Topic: A Transformer

Wilbur    -- 10-10-2009 @ 11:52 AM
  Is there a transformer available, suitable to convert 6V to 12V for an electronic ignition system. Points,for whatever reason, just do not last.

supereal    -- 10-10-2009 @ 2:41 PM
  A transformer only works with alternating current (AC), not the DC of your car. There are stepup devices to increase 6 to 12 volts, but I haven't seen one that will work with an electronic ignition. Most of the electronic conversions made for flatheads create more problems than they solve. An original ignition system in good repair is a better bet. We have taken off several electronic conversions in order to get a flathead engine to operate properly, including the capacity discharge variety. If the points in your 6 volt system are burning, it is likely that the ignition resistor is missing or defective, or oil is getting on the points. Point life with a good original distributor should last at least five years.

Wilbur    -- 10-15-2009 @ 8:55 AM
  Thanks Superreal; I,ll take your good advice.

51f1    -- 10-16-2009 @ 7:20 AM
  When something goes wrong with our old cars, many of us want to replace the offending part or system with something else, i.e., 12-volt electrical systems, electronic ignitions, electric fuel pumps, etc., etc., instead of fixing the problem. That is not necessary, and, to me, when we do this, we diminish the historical significance of our vehicles. If the old systems on our cars and trucks are maintained properly and kept in tune, they will work just fine. Proof of this is that they worked when they were new, If they hadn't, Ford could have not stayed in business for 106 years. These are not modern, low maintenance cars. They require a lot of work to keep them running. To, me, that's part of the fun of owning them. Learn how to maintain and repair them, and they will give you many miles of trouble free operation.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 10-16-09 @ 7:25 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=114