Topic: 1937 Big Truck light switch positios

pilasteri    -- 11-20-2017 @ 10:02 AM
  Hi! I find it difficult to comprehend the light switch arrangement on our 1937 (brittish) Ford(son) Truck. The harness on our truck has been changed, and now, with new harnesses, there seems to be a problem finding all the necessary positions. The questions are:

1) Does the light switch have alltogheter four positions on the truck version lever, too? The lever is a "paddle" instead of the round unit with notches found on '37 cars.

2) Did the '37 big truck have a foot operated dimmer switch, or did it come to big trucks in 1938? Our truck had a suspicious looking foot dimmer applied with non-original looking screws on the foot well.

3) As hard I try, I only manage to find three positions on the mentioned "paddle". Is there actually a difference between the '37 light switch housing compared with '38 item? The harnesses and the bakelite switch plate are different because of the foot dimmer on '38

Thanks in advance,

Anni from Finland

TomO    -- 11-21-2017 @ 7:47 AM
  You might have better luck with information about your truck by contacting the UK Regional Group.

United Kingdom (RG# 127)

12 Fairholme Gardens, Cranham
EM: cksv8@btinternet.com
PH: 01708 222729

They are probably much more familiar with your truck than anyone in the USA.

Tom

pilasteri    -- 11-21-2017 @ 11:31 AM
  Thanks Tom! I'll try there.

To be honest, this '37 is almost 100% US-truck except RHD (which again is otherwise similar to original except reversed). Those trucks were TKD shipped from USA to GB and assembled there. For example our cylinder heads have "Made in U.S.A" -texts. Later brittish Ford(son)s are different beasts.

regards,
Anni

40 Coupe    -- 11-22-2017 @ 5:02 AM
  For U.S. passenger CARS, light switch main body B-11657 used on the Models 74, 77, 78 & 79 allows the switch to move to 4 positions (parking, off, low & high beam). The same switch main body was used from 1932. It was about 38 when light switch main body 81A-11657 was used it had one less position and the foot dimmer was adopted. I also agree you should contact your local Regional Group.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11399