Topic: 37 radio wiring colors

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-17-2017 @ 2:53 PM
  Hello, (sorry, the title is incorrect, it should be for the glove box wiring. I don't know how to edit the topic title)
I have a 37 Fordor Deluxe with radio and on/off switch and small lamp in the glove box. The lamp wiring is separate from the switch wiring and includes connections to the two instrument panel lights also.
Question: what color are the wires in this harness? The harness consists of two wires to the lamp in the glove box and a junction connector where the two panel lights connect, along with a source wire to the light switch in the panel. A wiring diagram would be nice also. The existing wires are seriously frayed and weathered, so much so, that I cannot tell what colors they are supposed to be, picture is attached. My plan is to restore the harness with new cloth covered wires of the correct color and gauge.
Thanks,
gregg

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 11-17-17 @ 2:55 PM

40 Coupe    -- 11-18-2017 @ 4:55 AM
  According to the 37 restoration book the glove compartment light was a very rare accessory. Does your light snap into the glove box clock inside the glove box? The dash light switch controls the two lights for the instruments as well as the clock light. I can not find the wire color code for the 37 clock light (if it had one) for 38 the wire is Black/Red and in 35-36 it was Black/Blue. I have no information on the color of the ground wire for either 37 or 38 clocks. For 35-36 the ground wires are Black. It is possible Tyree Harris sells a harness for the clock light.

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-18-2017 @ 7:32 AM
  Thanks 40Coupe for the feedback/info.
I didn't realize the clock lamp was that rare. I think I will restore the wiring harness based on 38 colors.
A 3 page pdf is attached. Am excited to get it all back together and see how it lights up!
gregg

MG    -- 11-18-2017 @ 8:31 AM
  If I recall correctly, the toggle switch located in the '37 glove box is to prevent "unauthorized use" of the radio which means that it is in the radios power (on/off) circuit....

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-19-2017 @ 3:27 PM
  Yes, the switch is in series with the radio's power source.
A "finished" picture is attached. The box upholstery is in pretty bad shape, but what do you expect after 80 years!
The picture is shown looking into the glove box.
Thanks,
gregg

40 Coupe    -- 11-20-2017 @ 4:53 AM
  I would like to be clear, it is the glove box light (to illuminate the glove box interior) that is listed in the restoration book as rare. It appears your light is for the clock. which is not rare (since many 37 cars came with a clock) . Maybe one of the people above could post a photo of the special connector off the rear of the dash light switch which allows the connection of the clock light wire??

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 11-20-17 @ 4:56 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-20-2017 @ 7:10 AM
  That's a new one on me. Glad you cleared this up. Would love to see a picture of a "glove box light".
Thanks,
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11388