Topic: I need some advice

Lobo    -- 11-14-2017 @ 7:06 AM
  I recently purchased a 1936 Ford Phaeton
I did not do my homework and just discovered that a rod is knocking. I am being told that a rebuilt engine is in order and I am looking at a price tag of about $10,000
Is there a market for rebuilt flathead V-8's that might be an option to rebuilding this one? The car is located in Scottsdale Arizona
Any other thoughts or options would be appreciated

rick50    -- 11-14-2017 @ 8:45 AM
  I'm in the Chicago area where things aren't inexpensive. I just had a flat head V-8 rebuilt for $4000. It was a complete rebuild including balancing. I did the R&R. $10,000 seems a little expensive.

carcrazy    -- 11-14-2017 @ 9:26 AM
  Are you sure that your engine has a rod knock? How is the engine otherwise? Does it have good compression? You first want to determine exactly what repairs are required. If you can find a local shop capable of repairing your engine, having them do the required work is probably the most economical way to go.

pauls39coupe    -- 11-14-2017 @ 9:27 AM
  Nice looking car!
I would check to be sure it is a rod knocking, not something simpler. Use a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the noise. A loose fuel pump push rod or failing fuel pump will often make a noise like a bad rod on a flathead. A worn fiber cam gear can also make the same noise as the gear teeth flop from face to face.
I would try disconnecting one spark plug wire at a time to see if it is indeed a rod or something else.
Ten large seems a bit high for a stock rebuild. Shop around.

CharlieStephens    -- 11-14-2017 @ 9:51 AM
  Ask the local EFV8 Club for recommendations about rebuilders. Be sure to check out the rebuilder's reputation in the archives here, on fordbarn.com and on HAMB (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/). $10,000 seems high, are you doing any of the work yourself? Is the person/company giving the bid familiar with old Fords or are they pricing in a learning experience? Maybe they are just hope you will go somewhere else?

Charlie Stephens

kubes40    -- 11-14-2017 @ 10:59 AM
  Around here, if the engine is WORN out, about $4k - $5k. $10 sounds outrageous.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 11-14-2017 @ 11:12 AM
  The quoted cost of an engine rebuild starts with whether the engine is already out of the vehicle, or the vehicle will be delivered intact, requiring removal. When the engine is disassembled, the rebuilder will be able to determine whether it is a good candidate, or has problems making a rebuild unlikely, such as non repairable block cracks. Various components, such as rods, pistons, and crankshaft will be examined, and determination as to whether any of these will need replacement. Then we can provide a quote for the owner to consider. We have done early engines for years, and try to be realistic about the cost. If you are given a "top of the head" quote below $5,000, or over $10,000, be wary. Always ask for references from previous customers.

Lobo    -- 11-14-2017 @ 4:32 PM
  Thanks for your reply
I am going to do my homework this time

Lobo    -- 11-14-2017 @ 4:34 PM
  Is there anyone in the early Ford V-8 club in Scottsdale Arizona aware of a mechanic shop other than Vintage Iron?
I do like the folks there but I would like to get a second opinion

Lobo    -- 11-14-2017 @ 4:36 PM
  The engine has good compression and does not burn any oil according to the mechanic
Thank you for your response that's exactly what I'm looking for is far as alternatives rather than jumping into a complete tear down

Lobo    -- 11-14-2017 @ 4:38 PM
  Thank you for your response that's exactly what I'm looking for as alternatives to a complete engine teardown According to the mechanic I have very good compression no oil burn and strong vacuum

Lobo    -- 11-14-2017 @ 4:39 PM
  Thank you for your reply where are you located

TomO    -- 11-15-2017 @ 9:23 AM
  Your car is very nice and is well worth putting in a correct engine If your engine has insert main bearings, a later engine will cost just as much to rebuild as your engine

If the engine has babbitt main bearings, your choice of a rebuilder is limited and the price may be higher due to extra work and special equipment involved.

There is a Regional Group in the Phoenix area and you can find the contact information in the Regional Group Directory in the left banner of this website. Contact them for a recommendation on some one who can diagnose the engine for you and recommend a rebuilder.

Tom

lawrie    -- 11-24-2017 @ 2:36 PM
  There is a rebuilt 36 engine for sale in the classifieds.
Lawrie

trjford8    -- 11-24-2017 @ 5:13 PM
  There are lots of V-8ers in the area of Scottsdale. Use your club roster and call around to local V-8ers to see who they recommend. You could have a noisy fuel pump push rod which can have a knocking sound.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-24-17 @ 5:14 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11375