Topic: Identify fuel atomizer?

Grant    -- 11-11-2017 @ 3:31 AM
  This stamped plate (copper? brass?) turned up at a local swap meet last month.

I can't locate a part number anywhere in my FoMoCo books. Does anyone recognize it?

The tag, which may be a reproduction, says "V8 fuel atomizer" and on the back "1942 to 1954".

Is this a genuine Ford part? Or some kind of Rube Goldberg aftermarket item which would allegedly have delivered improved fuel economy?

The honeycombed holes are intricate and look like they would have required some sort of carefully engineered stamping design created by a machinist.

Grant    -- 11-11-2017 @ 3:33 AM
  Photo two ..............

Grant    -- 11-11-2017 @ 3:35 AM
  Photo 3 .................

TomO    -- 11-11-2017 @ 6:35 AM
  Grant, that is one of the 'Profit improvers" sold in magazines like Popular Mechanics and by JC Witney. The main purpose was to sell a product that could be made cheaply and advertise it as a gas mileage improver.

A similar product had a small turbine in each bore. Neither of them made any difference in MPG or HP, and they were both advertised to do this.

Tom

cliftford    -- 11-11-2017 @ 6:40 AM
  I'm guessing this is an after market thing. Back in the day there were all sorts of similar devices available that were supposed to improve performance and increase gas mileage. Also people used to put 2 gaskets between carb and manifold with a piece of window screen between them. usually there was very little improvement in performance.

Grant    -- 11-12-2017 @ 3:24 PM
  Good heavens, I've been hornswoggled again. And that swap meet vendor seemed like such a nice old guy.

Another five bucks into the flathead money pit ............

ken ct.    -- 11-12-2017 @ 3:42 PM
  Grant ,I'm sure the vendor thanks you much. LOL,LOL. ken ct

deluxe40    -- 11-12-2017 @ 7:08 PM
  Grant, My dad was an avid reader of the back pages of Popular Mechanics and he tried many schemes to improve gas mileage on our '49 Convertible. Among them were a "mini-charger" that looked like your unit except it had little fans in the ports. He also tried a water injector, and a Mallory ignition. Nothing made a change he could detect. He also had an Austin A40 and a VW with superchargers. Both of those experiments ended with broken crankshafts (but they sure were fun for a while).

CharlieStephens    -- 11-12-2017 @ 11:26 PM
  Be aware that those nice official looking Ford part number tags were available as an excellent and cheap reproduction a few years back.

Charlie Stephens

cliftford    -- 11-15-2017 @ 7:32 AM
  Here are some of the other gadgets that were sold back in the day: a so called spark intensifier that was supposed to create a hotter spark by jumping an internal gap, a fuel filter with a magnet that was supposed to do something magic to the fuel mixture, and "igniters" which were fancy spark plugs that would increase horsepower 10%. All were gimmicks that made little if any difference in engine performance. Remember these? If so, like me you are in the twilight of life.

bigvince    -- 11-20-2017 @ 5:26 AM
  I think it goes on the base of the Pogue carburetor...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11369