Topic: Installing Thermostats in a 34

MGG    -- 11-08-2017 @ 1:57 PM
  Does anyone have a good method of removing the old and installing the new thermostats inside the upper radiator hoses on a 1934?

drkbp    -- 11-08-2017 @ 4:59 PM
  Not really a method but,
I run Bridgeport 160's in my '35. They are 2-3/4 inches long and you can feel where they are in the hose. Feel the hose and confirm they are up near the radiator. Take the hose off at the water pump and then the radiator. Slide the thermostat out the top and a new one in. Just be sure to have the stat turned in the correct water flow direction. It is not a bad idea to confirm they open properly before you put them in the hoses. I do that on the stove in water with a kitchen thermometer.

MGG    -- 11-08-2017 @ 8:43 PM
  Thanks - Mine are the original style which is a tube which is completely inside the radiator hose about 1-1/2 inches above the water pump outlet. The old ones have been in there a long time and are very stuck.

drkbp    -- 11-09-2017 @ 5:43 AM
  It may be time for new hoses.
The thermostats I have are like the attached photo. Not a tube exactly but totally inside the hose. Of course, they help the car warm up but one of the best features of this style is that it cuts down on the flow of water from the water pumps. I don't have a hot water heater on my car but if you do, better to have them up near the radiator.

I had a picture of the early thermostats somewhere but I can't find it. I believe the factory started using them in '33.

carguy    -- 11-15-2017 @ 9:11 AM
  drkbp said "The thermostats I have are like the attached photo. Not a tube exactly but totally inside the hose. Of course, they help the car warm up but one of the best features of this style is that it cuts down on the flow of water from the water pumps."

Is cutting down the flow of coolant really a good thing? I am considering installing the the3rmostats than Robert Shewman is offering in the V8 Times because he says that his do not restrict the coolant flow.

I'd like to hear some other ideas on the value of high current flow.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11361