Topic: Ignition Coil Adaptor?

ibshane    -- 11-08-2017 @ 4:11 AM
  So I found a new "Ignition Coil Adaptor" Kit in a parts box that came with my "new to me" 1937 Ford Deluxe Fordor V8-85. But for the life of me I can not seem to find out for certian what 6v Coil & Condenser to use with this coil adaptor. The electrical system will remain 6v positive ground. There is an old NAPA/Echlin #904 6v Coil rolling around loose in the parts box..., but I have no idea if that coil is compatable? The Coil says: "No Resistor Required" on it.

My online searches only come up with the Coil and condencer to use when utilizing the coil adaptor kit when convert to a 12v system?? Nothing about keeping it 6v.

I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

ken ct.    -- 11-08-2017 @ 6:33 AM
  These wernt the most reliable junk on the market. Go stock setup. ken ct

trjford8    -- 11-08-2017 @ 7:29 AM
  If it says "no resistor required" that means the coil has an internal resistor. You would use a later condenser that mounts on the adapter. I would leave it in the car for an emergency in case the original coil fails. It's a good back up when you are stranded miles from home. You will also need a wire that goes from the coil to the adapter and a bracket to mount the coil to the intake manifold.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-8-17 @ 7:31 AM

supereal    -- 11-12-2017 @ 10:08 AM
  The coil adaptors have been known to be troublesome because the part that holds and tensions the rotor contact may not be reliable.The condenser can be mounted on either end of the wire connecting the coil input to ground. The original Ford ignition system is one of the most reliable parts of the vehicle and aftermarket replacements seldom enhance performance and durability.

ken ct.    -- 11-12-2017 @ 10:41 AM
  x3 Thanks Supereal. ken ct

ibshane    -- 11-13-2017 @ 1:30 AM
  Ok..., Thanks guys!
I just thought the adaptor might be the way to go if & when my OEM coils goes? I guess maybe not!
It could be that the adaptor I have was on this rig at one time and then taken off???

carcrazy    -- 11-13-2017 @ 12:28 PM
  You can use the ignition coil adapter on the stock '37 Ford distributor and make it reliable for long distance trips. If you have a problem with the contact brush making contact with the rotor, you can replace it with a new brush & spring set Part #68-12010-S from Yesteryear Ford Parts at 517-676-4416. You can also purchase the proper condenser and ignition coil wire from them. For a coil, I would use a new Bosch 6V coil for an older VW Beetle that uses a 6V electrical system. Be sure to wire the coil properly for your positive ground system.

JM    -- 11-13-2017 @ 10:33 PM
  I would say most of the original OEM coils, including nos version, are now suspect for shorted windings, especially when heated to normal engine operating temperatures. The reliable fix for these coils is to have them rewound by someone like Skip Haney in Punta Gorda, FL..

John

JM    -- 11-13-2017 @ 10:34 PM
  Delete duplicate post

John

This message was edited by JM on 11-13-17 @ 10:35 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11358