Topic: drop ignition on '36 ford

onedon    -- 11-06-2017 @ 7:49 AM
  Hopefully this is my last question on the key ign..Well I have finally overcome all the tough pins and end cap. MY question is,and I'm afraid I may know the answer, I don't have the colum out or any of the inners out of the stearing colume. The lock mech. wont go far enough to the left to get the on/off lever out. What is the problem, Please don't scare me!

flatheadfan    -- 11-06-2017 @ 11:42 AM
  This is common. On your steering shaft there is a collar (note picture), that has a slot for the for the locking pin to enter to lock the steering gear when the key is removed. Sometimes the pin gets stuck in the slot. Try this. jack up the front wheels enough to get the tires off the ground. Attempt to wiggle the wheels back and forth while a buddy attempts to rotate the key back and forth. Usually this will solve the problem.

Tom

onedon    -- 11-07-2017 @ 4:17 AM
  Thanks for the response Tom, I do have the key cyl. out,I can freely slide the lock mech. back and forth, it just wont go farenough into the stearing shaft. I thought mabey it was hitting the horn rod?? I'll try and do what you said. But I should be able to replace the on/off switch without removing the whole drop assembley and taking it off the stearing tube??

Don Rogers    -- 11-07-2017 @ 5:56 AM
  Don, You won't be able to remove the switch lever while the steering shaft is still in the column. Is the lever usable? If so, just replace the bakelite switch components and ignition cylinder.

onedon    -- 11-08-2017 @ 2:42 PM
  that's the problem the on/off switch lever is broken ( the part u would put your fingers on to flip up and down).So u say I will have to pull the steering shafrts?

onedon    -- 11-08-2017 @ 2:49 PM
  I have the key cylinder out (removed) the small pin in the back (presses into the lock mech.) is also removed. The lock mech. slides easely back and forth, just won't go far enough to the left to remove the on/off switch. I hope I don't have to remove the horn rod?? Thanks

Don Rogers    -- 11-08-2017 @ 3:33 PM
  Yes, You have to pull the steering shaft and gear down and out from the column or you have to remove the steering column from the dash and from around the shaft.

onedon    -- 11-08-2017 @ 5:02 PM
  Thanks, I was afraid of that-- all been together since new witch is the easiest poison for beginner. Thanks Don and also the rest who have helped me

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11355