Topic: 600x16 radial tube type tires

shortarms    -- 11-04-2017 @ 3:17 PM
  i recently bought 4 new 600x16 coker radial w/w tires and tubes.
turns out tires are made in mexico, tubes in korea.

i am not happy. didn't see anywhere on coker's website where it said their tires and tubes were made out of country!!!!

where can i buy tires and tubes of above size that are made in the U.S.A.?

LarryK    -- 11-06-2017 @ 6:23 AM
  Universal Vintage Tire in Hershey, PA sells Lester Tires that are made in Pennsylvania. I bought 6.00x16 bias ply tires from them. The tubes were made in Korea. I don't know if Lester makes radials.

Larry

supereal    -- 11-09-2017 @ 10:38 AM
  Being made offshore doesn't automatically make tires inferior. Many national brand tires are made that way. At our shop we sell Cooper tires to those sensitive to that problem. Those who were campaigning to "buy American" have found that a great proportion of vehicle parts were not USA produced at the building of cars and trucks.

37 Coupe    -- 11-10-2017 @ 6:50 AM
  Universal Tires in Pennsylvania are owned and operated by Coker and they have discontinued the neat Ford script tire. As far as Korean rubber is concerned I was very upset to have my new Explorer a couple years ago show up at deliverywith Hankook tires or something like that. After 40,000 miles so far and no trouble or even a great deal of wear I have to ask myself aren't these a lot better than the Firestones I dealt with with my new '99 Explorer,(remember the rollovers?) or the terrible experience in the seventies with the 721's that I had multiple sets recalled with separation and the steel belts shifting. I have to say the Korean tires I now have are the best I have ever had on an ordered Ford. I just bought 6 new BF Goodrich 5:50 X 18" for a 32 Plymouth PB from Coker as I have since never wanted the Firestone name in my garage I question where and by whom they were actually made by.The tubes are Korean but the tire diameter is about 2-3 inches bigger than the Cokers that were replaced. Old tires were actually Coker name on them and probably old enough that Harold himself pulled them out of the mold.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11354