Topic: My 1938 ford won't stay running

KAS1954    -- 11-04-2017 @ 3:02 PM
  Took my new to me 1938 ford v8 out for a short drive. After about 5 miles it starting spitting and sputtering. We pulled over to let rest (no overheating) tried to start again and started right up. About a 1/4 of mile it did it again. We had to do this a few times before we got back home. We changed the oil already prior to this. Next I am going to drain the gas and start with new. Any other suggestions?

MG    -- 11-04-2017 @ 3:13 PM
  Sounds like a coil problem to me. The coil heats up and and the insulation inside the coil and on the windings breaks down causing a weak or no spark....

ford38v8    -- 11-04-2017 @ 4:16 PM
  I agree with MG. Confirm this way: Next time it dies on you, immediately check the spark at the plugs. No spark means coil as MG said. Tell us about your coil. Is it mounted on top of the distributor, or mounted at the side of the engine. What shape is it?

Alan

KAS1954    -- 11-04-2017 @ 4:50 PM
  It's on top and round

CharlieStephens    -- 11-04-2017 @ 8:08 PM
  The others are probably right but try taking your gas cap off when it quits. If there is a "woosh" you have a gas tank venting problem.

Charlie Stephens

ford38v8    -- 11-04-2017 @ 11:32 PM
  So, check for spark next time it happens, and if none immediately after it stalls out, get hold of Skip Haney to have him rebuild it, or to sell you a rebuilt coil outright. If you have a spare old coil, choose the best looking one to send to Skip.

Skip Haney www.fordcollector.com
Remanufactured coils and high volume modified water pumps for flatheads

Alan

Dream38v8    -- 11-05-2017 @ 4:56 AM
  KAS1954 - I had the same issue with my new to me '38. The Forum members recommended I get a new coil and condenser for Skip Haney. I now drive with confidence. My '38 is now a complete joy to drive.

The General Ford Forum has been a great help with solving issues with my '38. What a wealth of knowledge. A big thank you to the members.

Ray

MGG    -- 11-05-2017 @ 8:07 AM
  I had symptoms similar to yours in my 34. The coil and condenser were fine. The problem turned out to be old gas and debris from the tank, in the system. I took out the tank, flushed it out, and cleaned out the fuel lines and the screen in the fuel pump. Problem solved.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11353