Topic: 37 upholstery question

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-01-2017 @ 9:32 AM
  Hello,
I recently purchased a full interior kit from Cartouche (via Joe's Antiques). It is for a 37 Fordor Deluxe. So far the kit looks decent, have front bench sheet covered.
My question is about how to install the B pillar upholstery strips (I could call Cartouche but thought I would go here first). The strip is about 2.5" x 45". Removing the old original strips revealed a number of small finish nails that stuck to the finish strips embedded in the pillar. These nails are what holds the strip to the pillar. So, is the install sequence to place the strip up against the pillar and then nail it in place? Or perhaps, put the nails in and press the strip over the nails head? It seems like it is the former method, but that way will leave tiny holes in the upholstery material. I figure they will readily heal and ultimately not be visible.
Thoughts and advice? (needless to say I hate doing upholstery work!)
Thanks,
Gregg

trjford8    -- 11-03-2017 @ 5:26 PM
  I left you an answer on the Fordbarn.

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-03-2017 @ 9:13 PM
  Thanks TJ.
For the folks on this Forum, here is the dialog we had:

"You drive the finish nails through the material and cardboard. Then use a needle to pull the material over the head of the nail to hide it."

"TJ,
Thanks so much. This was really stumping me. I read somewhere that MACs carries the material that the nails drive into. The stuff I got is so brittle it falls apart when I even pull out the finish nails. Will order/install the new material and then attempt to nail on the trim. Side note, the nail length is fairly critical. My original nails are slightly turned up on the ends, must be due to the nail bottoming out on the steel lining. This actually helps to hold the nails in the material.
Thanks again,
gregg "

"Gregg, you're welcome. I would recommend that you change all the tack strips in the car. By now all the strips are brittle and will not hold the trim or wind lace. The few extra bucks you spend on new tack strip will save a lot of problems in the future."

"Right on, TJ.
I just ordered 30 ft from Mac's"

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11342