Topic: 1949 Ford VIN on title doesn't match car-NEED HELP

aomartinracing    -- 04-21-2010 @ 10:34 AM
  I bought this car off of an auction site in Dec. 2009 & can not get a SC title issued because the Florida title only has 6 characters not the complete 10 characters that the data plate on the vehicle has. I have filed a complaint with the vehicle protection program and the AIA representative has obtained a letter from the Florida DMV stating that they are not going to add the four leading characters as per them the 1949 Ford VIN is only 6 characters. What I am looking for is a copy of a Florida title for a 1949 Ford that shows a 10 digit VIN that starts with 98BA or 98HA that I can provide to the AIA rep to show that the four leading characters are part of the VIN. I am not concerned with the remaining 6 numbers & at least part of them & the rest of the personal information would need to be blanked out to protect your interest. Car had Ohio title prior to Florida title & that is where we think mistake was first made. Would also be interested in a copy of a 1949 Ford title from Ohio to see how many characters they show on their title. I am really pressed for time on this as I was just informed of this today and I can't afford to have $10k tied up in a car that isn't titled correctly.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

This message was edited by aomartinracing on 4-21-10 @ 10:52 AM

supereal    -- 04-21-2010 @ 2:41 PM
  I believe the 98BA is the V-8, the 98HA is the prefix for the six cylinder cars. The remaining numbers are the manufacturing sequence (serial number). Registration policies varied from state to state until the uniform VIN was adopted, making retitling difficult. The motor vehicle departments are reluctant to take a chance that the car may be stolen , or otherwise tainted. If you run into a dead end, ask about a "bonded title" procedure. If you have a good data plate, it should go a long way toward getting a title. Over and over, we tell buyers to escrow the purchase money until a valid, transferable title is in hand. It helps to be patient and cooperative with your MVD. Ours has helped us numerous times.

toddjg    -- 05-02-2010 @ 7:23 PM
  I had a simular thing happen I bought a 1950 ford with a florida title. the title was missing one number it was a typo.
what i did was get the title in my name even though i knew it was wrong. then when the new title came in i went back to d.m.v. and got a title correction done which involves a cop or notery to verify the vin on car . and apply for a corrected title.

now i have the correct title no problems.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1132