Topic: Oil Pump Issue (?)

swmddo    -- 04-21-2010 @ 5:37 AM
  My '48 coupe runs like a champ now, thanks to all on this forum. However, after the engine runs for about 5 minutes, the oil pressure gauge starts dropping (between the 0 and the first "dot"), after starting out about 30 psi, and there appears to be some 'blow-by' from the area where the oil pump is. Not sure if the gasket and/or the pump itself needs replacing...maybe both. Is the drop in oil pressure indicative of an oil pump/gasket breach? I am not losing oil, but I hate to run it too long without the proper pressure.

Thanks

Steve

jerry.grayson    -- 04-21-2010 @ 7:09 AM
  The drop in oil pressure when hot is normal. If you are seeing some blow-by, it most likely is thr result of excessive clearance in bearings. This can also be pretty normal for high mileage engines. You may want to put a mechanical gauge on the engine to see what the pressure really is. Unless you want to pull the engine and go through it, I would just drive it.

TomO    -- 04-21-2010 @ 7:29 AM
  If your oil pressure readings are at idle, they are probably OK.

Blow-by is created by worn rings. If you are seeing a lot of fumes coming out of the oil breather at the back of the engine, I would take compression readings to determine the condition of the rings.

High mileage oil will help reduce the fumes as will going to a heavier grade of oil. If you are using 10W-30, go to 20W-50. If you are using 20W-50 go to a straight 50W.

Tom

swmddo    -- 04-21-2010 @ 7:49 AM
  Thanks! The blow-by at the oil breather I would expect, but the one that bothers me is where it is coming from at the front of the oil pan, where I believe the oil pump is (right hand side)

Steve

TomO    -- 04-21-2010 @ 8:03 AM
  Steve, the oil pump is at the rear of the engine. The vent at the front of the engine oil pan is to allow airflow through the intake valley. Standing still, you will see some fumes come out of this vent. I would not worry about it, unless the fumes entering the car are excessive.

Tom

swmddo    -- 04-21-2010 @ 8:08 AM
  Thanks, Tom. And if the fumes become excessive? ;-) what is the verdict then?

Thanks

Steve

This message was edited by swmddo on 4-21-10 @ 8:12 AM

TomO    -- 04-21-2010 @ 9:38 AM
  Then you have to rebuild the engine. The fumes are caused by worn parts allowing combustion products into the oil pan and the valve chamber.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-23-2010 @ 1:50 PM
  I would use another oil pressure gauge and compare the 2, just in case, before you do harm to the engine,
also is the engine oil clean, and has correct amount and correct viscosity like straight 30 or 40. or 15-40 ? not thinned out by gas or water ?
in the engine ? not overfull ? what color is it,black?
also
you might be able to install a PVC valve to cut down on the fumes,
also you can do a leak down test, to see if the rings are worn,
if the engine was sitting for years, it might take some use before it stops some of the oil burning,I had a few engines that smoke when first started and after a while it stopped
if you go down a hill and have someone follow you and see if oil smoke comes out of the tailpipe.
this is when you back off the throttle,
last resort is to rebuild the engine,nice winter project.find a older rebuilder that KNOWS what he is doing. and let the quote a price first,
there is guy HERE in MAINE, that completey rebuilds V8's for a litte more then $3000.00, and does a good job, has a good reputation.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1131