Topic: Engine SteadyRoda

V8JR    -- 10-20-2017 @ 4:56 PM
  In the V8 Times July/August issue Fred Killian 1941/42 Advisor had an article titled "The 1942 Ford". In the article he stated that the engine steady rods were were eliminated on 1942 through 1948 models due to a transmission mount change. What was the purpose of the engine steady rods on 1941 and earlier Fords? What was the change to the transmission mount that allowed the elimination of the engine steady rod? Thanks for any insights- V8JR

40 Coupe    -- 10-21-2017 @ 5:11 AM
  When the clutch pedal is depressed there is a lot of force pushing the engine forward. The steady rods secure the engine block in one position. The early engine mounts have elongated holes and rubber mounts which do very little to secure the engine from moving slightly. If the engine moves there are a couple of adjustments that can change causing erratic operation. I am not aware of the later changes to the mounts.

V8JR    -- 10-23-2017 @ 9:57 PM
  Thanks for the insight

supereal    -- 10-24-2017 @ 2:04 PM
  The rods were discontinued because they didn't reduce or eliminate the clutch shudder. The "improved" rear (transmission) mount 42-48 didn't either.

42guy    -- 10-24-2017 @ 3:50 PM
  You got that right Supereal.

42wagon    -- 10-25-2017 @ 3:24 AM
  The clutch chatter problem is a unique feature of our 32 to 48 Fords. It is contributed to the torque tube drive, rubber mounting at the back of the transmission and the rubber mounting at the front of the engine. I believe it was probably minimal when the vehicles were new but as they aged and things wore it became a greater problem. Ford never made it go away entirely despite the anti-chatter rods and an "improved" transmission mount. The reason it was never a problem with Model As is because their engines are securely bolted to the frame at the bell housing.

Drbrown    -- 10-26-2017 @ 9:18 PM
  My "late" production '47, sold in CA, has anti chatter rods (?????) Based on reading several forums during the past 3 or so years and reports of forum members experiencing "chatter" problems, sources for resolution tend to wind-up focusing on clutch and/or flywheel work that was recently performed. I have not experienced such problems.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11301