Topic: Beware: 1939 convertible sedan

40COE    -- 04-21-2010 @ 1:37 AM
  Automobiles for sale: Beware the 1939 convertible sedan that is being advertised should be removed.
The guy is jerking people around. He was offered the advertised price and would not sell. Also the title is not his.

deuce_roadster    -- 04-21-2010 @ 9:08 AM
  Maybe the real owner doesn't know the car is for sale! Anybody could get into a garage and take a bunch of pictures.

Stroker    -- 04-21-2010 @ 11:31 AM
  I really like the non-oem hood ornament!

40COE    -- 04-21-2010 @ 2:25 PM
  The hood ornament is kinda cool. It could be yours for $13,500, oh or I mean $14,000, I'll get back to you, Now $15,000 and so on.

40COE    -- 04-21-2010 @ 2:29 PM
  As for the real owner having no knowledge, possible. Also maybe He is trying to sell to multiple buyers at the same time?

trjford8    -- 04-22-2010 @ 6:22 PM
  I see three scenarios with this car.1) It could be that someone inherited this car and is trying to maximize their inheritance. Probably won't commit to a deal as they think a better offer may come along.2) Car is being sold for someone by a second party and they are trying to get a piece of the action.3) Car is listed by someone who does not own the car and they are trying to sell it and then make an offer to the owner for less money and pocket the difference. This last scenario actually happened on this site when I answered an ad that was posted here(the old V-8 site). The alleged seller was not able to answer all my questions and the deal sounded "fishy". With a little detective work I found the car listed on Craig's List and contated the real owner.The alleged seller had previous contact with the owner and then tried to sell the car for more money before he owned the car. There's some shaky people out there and you need to be on your toes.

ford38v8    -- 04-22-2010 @ 10:42 PM
  If you Gentlemen will remember, the "owner" of this car posted on the Forum on 3/28/10, with the registered name of S281 SC, saying he'd just come into a 39 Phaeton, and inquiring the value. We set him straight on what he had and advised him of an approximate value of 12k - 15K. He thanked us for our feedback, asked if anyone was interested, and that he'd be posting in the classifieds.

Although one or another of the posted scenarios may be correct, we've done our bit. From the pictures, it can sit in that garage for another 53 years without further damage. Doubtful that any of us will ever see it on the road in any case.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1130