Topic: Basic Tuneup on a '36?

Flatbob    -- 04-20-2010 @ 5:18 PM
  How do I find TDC on number one cylinder, there is no timing mark or indicator on my '36 distributor? My engine is running rough, more so at low speeds than high and in general lacks power. The carb. has been rebuilt & float level set 1/4" from top of casing with no gasket. The distributor was set up & "dialed in" by old time flathead expert & ran very nicely until recently. I have an overcharging condition that I will correct by adjusting brushes, could the overcharge condition have damaged points & condenser? How do I adjust timing on this early distributor; it appears to be more challenging than a "post hole type."

ford38v8    -- 04-20-2010 @ 7:04 PM
  Flatbob, I think you should tackle one problem at a time. Your distributor is not involved with the battery/generator/cutout problem, and is likely not out of time in any case. Once you get your electrical system back in line, your distributor will show you what it's made of.

Alan

Flatbob    -- 04-20-2010 @ 7:44 PM
  Alan, I agree, but eventually I'm going to have to know how to do a tuneup, replace points & set timing. Tomorrow I'll adjust brushes & see how it runs. Thanks, Bob

TomO    -- 04-21-2010 @ 7:48 AM
  Flatbob,

The distributor is timed by adjusting the break time of the points. This can be done on a timing fixture, but is not recommended. The current supply of replacement points lack the quality of the points that were available in the last century. The spring tension is not up to specifications and the springs do not hold their tension.

Your best bet is to have the distributor serviced by having the points set on a distributor machine, by a qualified person. Make sure that the person will stand behind his work.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-21-10 @ 7:49 AM

supereal    -- 04-21-2010 @ 10:14 AM
  Timing is seldom a problem with pre-'49 flatheads, as it is preset with the drive system, leaving only a small adjustment with the slide plate on the distributor. Rough low speed performance and lack of power is often due to a poor or open condenser. You may also have one or more fouled spark plugs and/or leaking plug wires. If you remove the distributor caps, carefully inspect both the inner and outer caps for hairline cracks that form carbon paths. Since the car ran well until recently, it is likely one or more of the above is the cause.

Flatbob    -- 04-21-2010 @ 4:41 PM
  Super, you hit the head on the nail; tried a cpl. of different things & then put in a new condenser and now runs smoothly & with more power. Still, I have low compression & vacuum readings. This was my first rebuild, although I was careful to offset the ring gaps I'm thinking I may have installed a few of the rings upside down on various pistons. It is what it is & will have to live with it! Thanks everyone for the help.

supereal    -- 04-22-2010 @ 7:39 AM
  Compression may improve as the rings seat. Rings installed upside down usually don't affect compression, but do allow more oil to pass. I wouldn't worry about it. You can do a check for low vacuum with a gauge and a chart. I've attached a chart here.

Flatbob    -- 04-22-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  Super, already have your chart from earlier post. Thanks for the encouraging remarks in regards to the rings seating. Thanks

supereal    -- 04-22-2010 @ 2:18 PM
  You are welcome. Better to have two charts than none. Many of us "over the hill" guys need more than one in the hope we can find it when we need it!

TomO    -- 04-23-2010 @ 6:31 AM
  Super, that's why we have computers. When all we had were paper copies, we could have hundreds of them and never find one, now with the computer, we still have many copies and sometimes the search facility will find one.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-23-2010 @ 8:59 AM
  I agree, Tom, but for those of us stuck in the "dark ages", nothing seems to beat the accomplishment of laying hands on notes, pages, or other non-electronic sources. I still have some of my original "Craftsman" tools that are circa 1945. Now, if I could just turn the clock back and give my memory a kick in the you-know-what"!

ians34    -- 04-24-2010 @ 1:49 AM
  I have a 36 engine in my 34 with a mallory aftermarkrt dissy fitted converted to twelve volt. Without wanting to sound too much like an idiot, do I have a condensor and where is it fitted. My engine also has a constant misfire up through the revs and while cruising.

TomO    -- 04-24-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  I am not familiar with your Mallory distributor, so I can't tell you where the condenser is located.

A miss across the range of RPMs suggests something wrong with one or more cylinders.

To start off, remove one plug wire at a time to see if it makes a difference in how the car runs. If you find one or more that do not make a difference, that is the cylinder that is giving you the miss.

Check the spark going to that cylinder, check the spark plug gap and then perform a compression check.

Because this is a different problem, you should consider starting a new thread.

Tom

RSS    -- 04-24-2010 @ 9:45 AM
  I have a Mallory dual point dissy that came off of a 1935 sedan and the condenser is on the side of the housing. Randy

supereal    -- 04-24-2010 @ 10:56 AM
  We have removed more than one Mallory distributor from a flathead and replaced it with a stock unit. After extensive fiddling with the Mallory, we still couldn't get it to fire consistently. If you have access to a stock distributor, install it to eliminate the Mallory as a cause. I suspect that you will find the same as we did.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-25-2010 @ 9:04 AM

take the distrubuter off like supereal said,its not worth the trouble,and if not now but later on or on the road,and I do no think you can buy points for the MALLORY,
I had a NOS one for a different make car and could not find points, maybe I was looking in the wrong place,
as far a I can remember the genuine MALLORY CONDENSOR was made our of brass and was 3-4 times the size of a original FORD one,and was mounted on the outside of the distributer,this was on a 49-53 FORD,
test the coil for good spark , and also the ign wires
dissconnect one wire at a time, and see if you have blue spark,
I also would test the ignition wires by spraying a mist of water on the wires [ old windex bottle ] in the dark area in the garage with lights off and see if you see any arc'ing of the spark plug wires,this will cause a missfire also,,
if you have a FORD distributer rebuilt the right way with the FORD Coil rebuilt also, it will be good for 20,000 miles or more,look in the FORD V8 TIMES for people that have this rebulding service,
I had Skip rebuild a coil for me,
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1128