Topic: Newbie___ Radials?

ibshane    -- 10-16-2017 @ 12:03 AM
  Hey Guys,
I am a newbie to earlyfordV8.org as well as being a newbie to my new/old (Almost Bone Stock) 1937 Sedan Deluxe Fordor.
My question is: Can I put tubeless radials on my stock wheels? I've been looking at the Coker & Diamondback wide whitewall radials.

This message was edited by ibshane on 10-16-17 @ 3:48 PM

ford38v8    -- 10-16-2017 @ 12:45 AM
  Shane, that's a beautiful car! To partly answer your question, I've been told that you can run radials, but you need to run tubes in them. I run bias ply Cokers on my '38, and get about 18000 miles out of them.

Alan

ibshane    -- 10-16-2017 @ 1:19 AM
  Thanks & Thanks!

TomO    -- 10-16-2017 @ 7:29 AM
  You should use tubes with your stock wheels. They do not have the bear retaining hump that will keep a tubeless tire seated on the rim when the tire pressure is low.

That is such a pretty car and in my opinion, radial tires would look strange on it.

Tom

MG    -- 10-16-2017 @ 10:05 AM
  Radial tires on a '37 pictured in attachment below. The Coker tubeless radial tires on this car are being run with tubes inside....

ibshane    -- 10-16-2017 @ 3:44 PM
  Yes, Thank you!
The Coker American "Classic Bias Look Radial" is what I was considering. I believe Diamondback also makes a similar "Bias Look" Radial?

https://www.cokertire.com/american-classic-bias-profile-radials.html

This message was edited by ibshane on 10-16-17 @ 3:47 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 10-16-2017 @ 4:11 PM
  I have been running radials on my 40 wagon for 4 years. Firestone/Bridgestone Ecopia , never have run tubes. I do know of at least 4 other cars/trucks running these tires. 195 80R 16 high pressure radial tires

pauls39coupe    -- 10-16-2017 @ 5:17 PM
  We have a couple of cars running Coker's with tubes, and are happy with the results. Be sure whoever mounts them removes the little sticker inside the tire. If they don't it will wear a hole in the tube.

4dFordSC    -- 10-17-2017 @ 6:35 AM
  I run Diamondback radials with no tubes and stock rims on my '40 with no problems.

supereal    -- 10-18-2017 @ 8:52 AM
  I have run Coker Classic tires for many years. Even though they are bias plies, they don't flat spot as did the old tires. Tubes are required. The only advice with these tires is to have them mounted by a shop that knows how. Of the four tires bought, one was out of round and had to be replaced, which Coker did. If you opt for radials. be sure the front end of the car is in top shape. The more flexible sidewalls of radials can amplify any out of spec, and result in handling problems.

JM    -- 10-18-2017 @ 9:27 PM
  I have sets of both Coker and Diamondback radial tires on my cars. I'm also using tubes rated for use with radial tires in both sets. I chose not to buy these tubes from the tire manufacturer/suppliers, because I purchased better quality tubes at 1/2 the price they were asking. I know many folks are running their tires tubeless on stock early Ford rims, but I feel a bit safer running tubes in my tires, and to me that's worth the peace of mind and additional cost. Also, I have thousands of miles on both sets with no problems to date.

John

This message was edited by JM on 10-19-17 @ 10:02 PM

ibshane    -- 10-18-2017 @ 10:04 PM
  Thank you for your reply!
Do you have a preference between the Coker & Diamondback radials??

JayChicago    -- 10-19-2017 @ 10:54 AM
  There was a long discussion here on tires about six months ago; you might find some useful info there, along with many differing opinions on this subject:
EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Diamondback Radial Tires

BTW, the tires on your car are pretty good looking. Are you sure they need to be replaced? My understanding is that bias-ply tires will remain road worthy for many years. I believe the old song of "tires need to be replaced after six years" is not applicable to bias-ply tires.

ibshane    -- 10-19-2017 @ 10:46 PM
  I just hate the way Bias Plys grab ruts and other variations in the road surface! This is generally not the case with radials!

This message was edited by ibshane on 10-19-17 @ 11:53 PM

JM    -- 10-20-2017 @ 4:15 AM
  Comparing these two specific sets of tires, I prefer the ride, handling and appearance of the Diamondbacks over the Cokers. For some reason the Cokers did not seem to balance as well as the Diamondbacks.

John

This message was edited by JM on 10-20-17 @ 4:17 AM

TomO    -- 10-20-2017 @ 9:11 AM
  Have you had the alignment checked on your car. You should have about 1/16" +or - 1/32" of toe in. My 40 has 3/32" toe in and it does not grab ruts and other variations in the road surface.

Bias ply tires are blamed for handling problems caused by worn or maladjusted front ends. Radial tires tend to stay in a straight line better than bias ply, but if your tie rod ends, drag link anf king pins are in good condition and adjustment, bias ply tires will track correctly.

Tom

ibshane    -- 10-20-2017 @ 8:52 PM
  I can't say for sure that the front end has been properly adjusted..., but almost all of the cotter pins in both the front and rear end appear to be new. And it looks like there has been some recent adjustments made in the front judging from some disturbed dirt and/or clean threads on some of the adjustment points???

TomO    -- 10-21-2017 @ 7:44 AM
  Just because adjustments were made, does not mean that they were made correctly. Find a shop that does truck alignment in your area and ask them to check yours.

Tom

ibshane    -- 10-23-2017 @ 7:10 PM
  Sounds like a plan..., Thanks TomO!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11279