Topic: "Rust Free"

bo8109b    -- 04-20-2010 @ 1:48 PM
  In describing these wonderful old Fords, what might it mean when someone describes their vehicle as rust free. Does refinishing pitted floor pans or chasis make it rust free? Or stating a complete restoration over a rust free car. Hard for me to beleive there is such a thing.

40guy    -- 04-20-2010 @ 4:12 PM
  I would consider "rust free" to be a vehicle that does not need a patch panel welded in. Of course you could take it literal to mean zero, but as you say, that is a little unrealistic. Surface rust is not a problem. Things usually get more involved when cutting, fitting, and welding is necessary.

jerry.grayson    -- 04-20-2010 @ 7:33 PM
  "Rust free" to me means that it has never had any rust. Any yes, I see them sometimes.

supereal    -- 04-21-2010 @ 10:30 AM
  "Rust free", when used in the description of an old car for sale is a red flag, and should be viewed as such. Either the seller is ignorant or crooked, in most cases. The term "rustless" is often correctly applied to stainless steel trim, not floorboards, quarter panels, trunk floors, etc, where we usually find plenty of water damage.

40guy    -- 04-21-2010 @ 3:32 PM
  Another potential "red flag" is; "recent paint". Yeah; right over the rust. How about another one? - "drive anywhere" [if you have a couple cases of oil with you] These are two I learned the hard way. I realize not everyone is out to stick somebody. Just saying be cautious. The last car I bought I spent two hours just looking at it and going over it with a refrigerator magnet and I got a very good car with no surprises.

silverchief    -- 05-18-2010 @ 2:56 PM
  If I ever decide to sell my car I'm going to suggest the buyer bring a real mechanic familiar with old cars - not some "pliers mechanic" from down the street who wants to impress him by pulling plug to check compression. I also
will suggest he bring a good body man with a magnet - and under no circumstances would I sell it sight unseen.

Stroker    -- 05-18-2010 @ 3:29 PM
  I agree with Jerry that "rust-free" means just that. Problem is, that unless the old Ford has been stored in Egypt, or the desert Southwest, it simply isn't a credible statement to make. My 38 has never seen salted roads, and came from a pretty arid climate, where if you wanted anything to grow,
you had to water it. Great environment, but it also spent some time in an open-sided building where we stored 150 tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

"Salt never sleeps", and if the vehicle has ever been driven in areas where road salt has been used,
(the entire Northeast portion of the contiguous 48 States) or has ever made a trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats, then it might be "rust free" for awhile; but hidden in every crevice will be the airborne fine powder that does the damage.

Anytime bare metal (steel) comes in contact with moisture, there WILL be rust. Like the rest of my
fellow V8'ers, I'd assume that anyone who claims a vehicle is "rust free" is describing a condition
that means that you don't have to replace major body components because they are too thin to weld.

Again, a "rust free" vehicle should be one that hasn't been within 50 miles of an ocean, never been
to a "dry lake", "salt flat" or ever traversed any of the 20-odd states that use salt even in the
summertime.

Rare indeed!

rdt52flthd    -- 05-20-2010 @ 1:06 PM
  Or...."Rust Free" may mean the seller is not charging you for the rust that is on the car!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1125