Topic: Car Jack

bo8109b    -- 09-30-2017 @ 4:31 PM
  How do the Jack and related parts get stowed in trunks of 46-48 cars?

kubes40    -- 09-30-2017 @ 5:08 PM
  I am hoping Lin Stacey will jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.
I do believe that the jack was wrapped up within a canvas "sack" of sorts. They are extremely rare as is the correct jack..
The hand tools were placed within a small leatherette pouch. If your car has a tool "compartment" built beneath the trunk floor, all the tools get stowed under the wooden boards.
I am not certain when the tool 'compartment" was eliminated - I believe in late '46.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc    -- 09-30-2017 @ 7:24 PM
  I spent quite a bit of time with Lin Stacey on the phone with this one as my '47 has speedo, radio and clock date codes from late December '46 and the window bugs show completion in Jan, '47, so it has a number of running changes that I needed documentation on before submitting the car for judging.

The pouches for the jack and related parts we obsoleted for domestic vehicles as of 11/11/46. Most of the tools were gone by then as well. My understanding from Lin is they (jack & base, jack handle and lugnut wrench are correct for my '47) are all stored loose running 'front-to-rear' in the trunk on the passenger side of the trunk.

There are a few variations on the jack and accessories for the period and Mike is correct in stating the correct version and associated parts are difficult to come by. I was not aware of this until Lin Stacey told me how fortunate I was to have the correct and complete original for the '47.

Mike - taking this from the '41-'48 Ford book, the 'sub-compartment' (aka to us as the tool storage compartment) in the trunk was eliminated at or near the beginning of 1946 model production by Ford scr*w*ng down the wooden trough covers to prevent access to the trough. Later in the model year the floor stamping was changed and the sub-compartment was no longer furnished. Exact dates are not referenced in the book.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 9-30-17 @ 7:37 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11237