Topic: jump start

whyforjim    -- 09-30-2017 @ 3:15 PM
  I have read so many articles on jump starting a dead 6 volt positive ground battery from a 12 volt negative ground battery. Most of the articles say you can, still hooking positive to positive and negative to negative, but so many articles say you can ruin your gauges in the 6 volt vehicle. Other guys say, "Nah, I do it all the time, won't hurt anything." I'm going to believe whatever you all tell me.

cliftford    -- 09-30-2017 @ 5:08 PM
  I would play it safe and use a 6v battery.

ford38v8    -- 09-30-2017 @ 5:30 PM
  You won't ruin your gauges, but you'll burn out any lights that are on.
Jump start a flathead ford by pushing it and popping the clutch. If that won't work for you, you've got problems.
If your battery is good, before you use a 12 v to start it, check voltage going to the coil. You may be drawing too much for the starter to have enough left over for the coil. In that case, hot wire direct from the battery will bypass your resistor, and start your engine. Don't run with the hot wire, just start with it.

Alan

fenbach    -- 09-30-2017 @ 8:49 PM
  to avoid frying anything, I jump 12 volts directly to the starter. I carry a portable [Stanley] jump starter in the car. easy enough with a solenoid on the firewall, anyway. just make sure you connect to the same post as the starter. I use positive ground. i'm guessing the starter would just run backwards with negative ground, but never tried.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-30-2017 @ 9:34 PM
  I can't explain the details but starters will turn the same direction whether positive or negative ground. Last time someone tried to explain it I fell asleep.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-30-17 @ 9:58 PM

TomO    -- 10-01-2017 @ 7:38 AM
  When you use 12 volts to jump a 6 volt car, turn on the ignition and then connect the jumper cable to the starter side of the solenoid and you will not damage anything. If your 6 volt battery has any life in it, it will power the ignition circuit.

Tom

whyforjim    -- 10-01-2017 @ 1:05 PM
  can you explain in excruciating detail please?

which jumper, + or - to starter solenoid
other jumper goes where
which is the correct starter solenoid fitting or post
if i have to do, don't want to make any mistakes

thanks

ford38v8    -- 10-01-2017 @ 3:06 PM
  Follow the + mark on the battery post, should be going to a braided ground cable connected directly to the firewall. This is positive ground, and will go to the + side of the jumper battery.

Follow the - marked battery post through the large insulated cable to the solenoid. This is the post to connect the - cable to the jump battery - side. The OTHER large post on the solenoid will go through an insulated cable to the starter.

You can then turn on the ignition switch and hit the starter button on the dash.

Alan

TomO    -- 10-02-2017 @ 7:27 AM
  Alan, it is much better to go directly to the starter cable when using a 12 v source.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 10-02-2017 @ 9:40 AM
  Tom, Now that I engage my thinker on it, you're right, it'd be hard on the solenoid. My thought was to limit the 12v to only the period of the use of the starter, but that's foggy thinking too because everything else comes from that connection full time! My thinker is getting foggier and foggier the older I get.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11235