Topic: Fluid in a 37 thru 48 box

35gal    -- 04-19-2010 @ 7:12 PM
  What type of fluid do you paut in a 37 through 48 ford steering box that works and does not leak.

jerry.grayson    -- 04-19-2010 @ 8:28 PM
  90 wt gear oil,but you must fix the leak first. Most likely the leak is the tube at the end of the gear. You can remove the plate and tube with the gear on the car. The tube most likely loose on the plate. Solder it around the tube.

alanwoodieman    -- 04-20-2010 @ 7:04 AM
  solder/braze the tube to the lower cap-this tube keept the horn wire from the grease in the gear, as far as lube, I use a mixture of synthetic grease and synthetic gear lube- mix together to the consistency of mustard and put in the box. synthetic will not break down and will stay in the box when it gets hot. I have used this for years and works great-even talked my wife out of a hand mixer to do this mixing. I saw this in a V8 Times mag. a little while ago also.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-20-2010 @ 4:44 PM
  WERE is it leaking ?
out of the sector shaft ? if it is you will have to remove the box and install new sector shaft bushing bearing and a new sector shaft seal.plus maybe more,once you get it a apart,
if you grab the pitman arm does it rock back and forth or up and down,

I have used modern CV JOINT GREASE,it works with no problems and will not leak out as fast as a heavy oil ,
this grease is a blackish gray graphite grease,
and seems to contain graphite, which is a great lube,
this is available at any auto parts stores,you can go down to one and check it out and see if that is what you want to use, maybe a few dollars, its worth a try,
I am sure more people will weigh in and have there opinion as well

hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 04-21-2010 @ 3:58 PM
  35: This is kind of interesting! You received 3-"canned" responses from V8'ers who didn't read the question. Blessed are those whose steering gearboxes don't leak! Yeah, 90 wt will do it.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-21-2010 @ 5:17 PM
  BOY,,,!!! we all 3 OF US Got Fooled,
A FORD Steering box with NO LEAKS,
I guess we were all just trying to help,
my question is if it has not leaks, why do you have to add lube, or is it empty and has just been rebuilt,
go with 90 weight rear end lube,
37RAGTOPMAN

alanwoodieman    -- 04-22-2010 @ 5:41 AM
  Stroker, go back to Ford Barn, that is where all the smart a-- answers are, Oh I forgot they are closing that site be because of the likes of you

Stroker    -- 04-22-2010 @ 8:04 AM
  To All: I apologize! Alan, I am sorry I offended you. I was just trying to suggest
that we all (myself included) need to carefully read the question.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1122