Topic: rear wheel bearings

46coupe    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:29 PM
  What is the best way to remove the retaining ring that holds the rear wheel bearing in place? When they were replaced a year ago the old rings came out easily, and while the new retaining rings that I purchased went in easily, they now have to be removed as the rear bearing has failed after 300 miles.

TomO    -- 09-23-2017 @ 8:19 AM
  I use 2 screw drivers, one with a thin blade and the other with a normal blade. I use the thin blade to unseat the ring and the thick blade to keep it from going back in the slot.

After you have the ring out, you can drill a small hole in the ends, so that you can use Truarc pliers to remove them.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-23-2017 @ 11:08 AM
  Having a rear bearing fail is not a usual problem if using the correct grease. If you used anything other than the Heavy Duty Drum Brake type, it would explain it. That grease contains fibers that promote the grease to be drawn into the bearing over and over. Using chassis lube will allow the bearing to run dry and spall the rollers and damage the surface of the ends of the rear axle housing. Avoid using synthetic grease. Last year I saw a driveshaft center bearing that failed after synthetic grease was used.

kubes40    -- 09-23-2017 @ 12:10 PM
  TomO, as usual has allowed great advice. Once I remove the lock ring, I grind one in "inward" so next time I can use an expanding ring pliers to easily remove it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

46coupe    -- 09-23-2017 @ 4:53 PM
  The bearings were packed with the old style wheel bearing grease for drum brakes. I'm very surprised at the failure. Macs has said they will reimburse me after their tech inspects it.
Thanks for the screwdriver suggestion. I'll give it a try.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-23-2017 @ 5:57 PM
  Super, what grease do you recommend?

46coupe    -- 09-25-2017 @ 6:21 AM
  Someone on the forum recommended NAPA who got me StaLube for drum brakes. Works well.

TomO    -- 09-25-2017 @ 7:18 AM
  StaLube SL 3131. It is available at most auto supply stores and Amazon. You may have to have it ordered. You can order it online and have it delivered to your local NAP store.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-26-2017 @ 1:44 PM
  As my friends say above, Sta-Lube is the best. If you experience rear wheel nearing failure, carefully inspect the underside of the rear axle housing for evidence of spalling, and the rollers in the bearing for wear. Genuine Ford Hyatt type bearings are known for their long life. I have heard that there are some foreign made bearings that are not sufficiently hardened. To see if you have Ford made bearings, look at the outer sides of the roller cage for the Ford script stamped there.

mikelogan    -- 08-10-2020 @ 1:40 AM
  Try to grind the tip so it will fit down in the notches and cover many areas as possible. Just take your time and work it. BTW guys, can you recommend a place where I can get high-quality roller bearings? I've found this site https://rolek.cz/cs/, saw a lot of positive reviews on their production.

The site that is listed is no longer available -- web administrator

This message was edited by efv8CofAAdmin on 8-10-20 @ 5:29 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11205