Topic: Coker Tire Whitewall problems

Bruce Woods    -- 09-22-2017 @ 5:34 PM
  Purchased 4 new Firestone 5.25 17 tires for my 1934 Ford 5 window Coupe last year and having problems with whitewalls turning tan or brown just sitting in garage. Tried whitewall cleaner from black magic and had to scub over and over to clean. Coker has a whitewall cleaner and does not work much. Any one have this problem? Old tires that were on car were 20 years old and no problem with whitewalls being white.Unhappy with Coker. Any cleaner that would work? Thanks Bruce

kubes40    -- 09-22-2017 @ 5:54 PM
  Bruce, I hope others chime in here with their experiences.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:44 PM
  I've shared my experiences with Coker Tires before and you can find those if you search. In the end I have a quality set of Firestone three and a quarter inch white walls that have performed very well for me but it was an exercise to get here. To answer your specific question Simple Green is the most delicate and safe solution to use on your white walls. If you want something that will whiten them up and will take care of the yellowing very quickly of the white wall where it meets up against the black wall try a product called Red Ripper. It is very concentrated - cutting it as much as 16 - 1 with water is not unheard of but it will brighten them up and clear up the yellowing where the black wall meets the white wall. Personal preference has always had me steering away from Bleach products but they will work as well.

Steve

Bruce Woods    -- 09-22-2017 @ 7:21 PM
  Thanks Kube and Steve

Drbrown    -- 09-22-2017 @ 9:42 PM
  I have WW Coker Classic's and have not noticed a yellowing problem with them. For cleaning white-walls in general I first scrub lightly with common soap-containing Brillow pads. Agree with lens47merc regarding avoidance of bleach-based products.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-23-2017 @ 7:58 AM
  Bruce, I have heard of people filling their tires with nitrogen to stop them from turning brown. I know it's a bit of an extreme but who knows. I use a product called "Bleche-Wite" with a soft bristle brush and it seems to work. I also had issues with Coker tires and now use B.F. Goodrich whitewalls and they are In my opinion a lot better.

TomO    -- 09-23-2017 @ 8:03 AM
  I had the same problem with a set of Firestone tires that were made in New Zealand. I found a product in the middle 1990s that made them white, but soon after I found it, the product was discontinued.

Most tire dressings will turn the white walls yellow. If you don't use a tire dressing, the yellow is coming from the tire composition and will have to be washed off every time that you want to show the car. Simple Green and LA Awesome do a pretty good job of cleaning the tires. I use a nylon tire brush and scrub the tires after letting the cleaner soak in for a few minutes. I have not tried the Black Magic Bleche-White yet as I still had a bottle of Westley's until a week ago. It seems that it does not work as well as it used to.

Bleche-White tire cleaner has changed the formula over the years to comply with environmental concerns and cost concerns. It has never contained chlorine bleach since the beginning. The original powder contained an oxygen bleaching agent.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-23-2017 @ 11:16 AM
  I've had a set of Coker wide whitewall tires on my '47 for many years. For general cleaning I use Super Clean. If there are curb scuffs, an SOS pad will fix it. If the sidewalls turn yellow or brown, you may have some sort of outgassing in your garage from a stored substance.

Budhdallas    -- 12-02-2017 @ 2:07 PM
  Do you have a gas burning water heater in the garage? When I had a garage that did...the tires on the side of another car that faced the water heater turned brown much more than the side that faced away from the heater. I put covers made of old towels over them when it was parked there and problem went away.
My Coker's are close to 10 years old and still snowy white with car stored in garage with no gas burning appliances in it.

ibshane    -- 12-03-2017 @ 7:20 AM
  "Most whitewalls turn dingy or yellow because of the leaching of chemicals (mostly anti-oxidants) into the white material. "

That is a quote off of DiamondBack Tires website.

DiamonBack claims that their Whitewalls don't "turn dingy or yellow" because of the manufacturing process they use.
I've never had any so I couldn't say!

The whites on my old Firestone "DeLuxe Champion" Bias Plys are starting to dry out @ crack..., but they're still really white, so I guess I got that goin' for me?!

wrosenkrans    -- 12-04-2017 @ 9:36 AM
  There has been a similar debate on the Model T sites for some time. There it's not just whitewall turning brown, but the whole tire on the really early cars. One fellow did a lot of experimentation and it turned out the problem wasn't in the tire itself, but rather in the tubes., so at least one parts house started carrying a different tube. I haven't had the problem with my EV8, but I have with one tire on my Model A.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

FrankM-RG5    -- 12-04-2017 @ 10:50 AM
  I put blackwalls on my 49 and that is probably what will stay there. I swear something has changed in manufacturing that is causing this. Of course it could just be other pollutants in the air.
my dad had a brand new ww on his model A that got brown and no amount of scrubbing would remove it. I currently run 80% nitrogen in my tires and see no reason for any more. As the oxygen molecules leech out the concentration increases when I fill them. Yes, I'm joking about the hype.

Lobo    -- 12-16-2017 @ 4:04 PM
  What tire size is recommended for my 1936 Ford Phaeton.

ken ct.    -- 12-16-2017 @ 4:52 PM
  6.00 x 16

voced    -- 12-17-2017 @ 7:25 AM
  I had the same problem with the white Wall tires from Universal Tire on my 1929 Lincoln. And they told me that after a few years the black from the tires bleeds through the White Walls. It is frustrating consider what you have to pay for WW tires.

39 Ken    -- 12-18-2017 @ 7:21 AM
  Voced, Gorgeous automobile !

Bertha    -- 01-05-2018 @ 1:42 PM
  Wait a minute...let me think, what was it I used on Mom's Hornet.

SOS Pad's, fine steel wool & Ajax...fact is I'm still using the Ajax & wool.

Bob

"it's only original once"

This message was edited by Bertha on 1-5-18 @ 1:46 PM

37 Coupe    -- 01-07-2018 @ 8:53 AM
  I saw some stuff advertised on Facebook called Whitewall Wax that supposedly cleans and seals whitewalls from turning brown or yellow.

Jim    -- 01-08-2018 @ 1:42 PM
  I've had good luck with the six year old Coker whitewalls and they sure improved the ride and handling of my 1936 Ford. But I have noticed that they turned dark near the place where the white wall meets the black portion of the tire. Here is what worked for me... scrub the tires with soap and water, let dry. Pour about 1/2 cup of lacquer thinner in a cup, and (wearing rubber gloves) take a white Turkish towel cloth and dip it into the thinner. The wipe in one direction (not back and forth) and you will be amazed at the dirt that comes off. After a couple of swipes with the cloth, go to a clean part of the cloth. Do this in a well ventilated area and no open flames or smoking! Ouch!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11204