Topic: 37 Sedan Delivery VIN# ???

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-22-2017 @ 8:38 AM
  Hello,
I just bought a very rusted out 37 Sedan Delivery. Am trying to get it titled. The VIN# is stamped in three places as most of you all know. The only place that has anything legible is the location just front of the body close to the steering box location. I cleaned it as best as I could, then used a high powered magnifying headset to scrutinize the number. I located the star, but then was surprised by the numbers that followed (A23077). Please see attached pdf. This is absolutely inconsistent with everything I have read (I have the Club's 37 Ford Book and others). I have another Sedan Delivery and it has the correct VIN# format, e.g. 18-#########.

So, I really need some help in determining if the stamping is correct. It looks very authentic and this car is so old and rusted that I can' help believe that the frame is the original, but you never know. I see no modifications to the frame and everything, including the rear wood floor bracing, is correct.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
gregg

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 9-22-17 @ 12:51 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-22-2017 @ 12:52 PM
  for some reason the pdf is not there. Here it is again.
Gregg

just tried clicking on it in this response. It doesn't show up, not sure what to do...

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 9-22-17 @ 12:53 PM

shogun1940    -- 09-22-2017 @ 5:02 PM
  It does not sound right, unless somebody had a number stamped in for a title , fake or real. I get file 404 trying to see the pic.

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-22-2017 @ 5:25 PM
  I get the same error message. Don't know what I am doing wrong. I can easily view the pdf on my laptop.
gregg

CharlieStephens    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:00 PM
  Gregg emailed me the picture and I will try to post it.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-22-17 @ 6:03 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:08 PM
  Second try

CharlieStephens    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:26 PM
  Third try is the charm, but WOW a lot of work. I got the email from Gregg and opened it in my apple desktop. Next I took a "screen shot" (command, shift, three). Next I imported the screen shot into "Photos" and cropped it. Then I exported it to my desktop as a jpeg and finally posted it on the forum from my desktop. Why it didn't work for the first two try I can't explain. There must be an easier way but I am going to stop while I am ahead. If anyone can't see the picture please post. Sorry but the picture seems to me to generate more questions than answers.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-22-17 @ 6:36 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:56 PM
  trying again, modified the file name to remove the #.

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-22-2017 @ 6:59 PM
  that was it, no #'s allowed in the file name.

TomO    -- 09-23-2017 @ 8:12 AM
  Could the Sedan Delivery come from Argentina?

I have no idea what the Argentine serial numbers were, but a lot of older Fords were imported from there in the 1960's and early 1970's

Tom

3w2    -- 09-23-2017 @ 7:39 PM
  The engines and transmissions of the vehicles sold by Ford in Argentina (and the rest of South America with the possible exception of British Guiana) in the day were manufactured in Dearborn and their serialization (numbering) was part of the same sequence used on all Dearborn-built engines/transmission assemblies. In other words, there were no unique engine numbers for Argentina except that an 'F' was added after the '18' prefix to designate right hand drive.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 9-24-17 @ 4:51 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-23-2017 @ 9:24 PM
  Thanks for the feedback/info. Still am stumped and not sure I should try to title this vehicle with that number, especially since I want to restore it to original.

If someone ground off the original and stamped this number, it sure is weird. The stamping looks very original, but the number makes no sense at all. I may have to trash this frame altogether and find a new one, but prefer not to.

Maybe? the prefix A does stand for Argentina? No idea where this vehicle came from. I bought it from someone in New Jersey.

Thanks, and any other ideas are appreciated.
gregg

trjford8    -- 09-24-2017 @ 1:59 PM
  If the frame is original to the car use the # that's on the frame. It will be a lot easier than changing frames. Do you have a sedan delivery or a panel delivery? If it's a panel delivery that could be the reason for the different # on the frame.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 9-24-17 @ 2:01 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-24-2017 @ 2:37 PM
  If the frame is not original it must have been swapped out a very long time ago. Most of the nuts and bolts on the frame are rusted in place. It is a sedan delivery. Check out the attached pdf.
Maybe I will stick with the frame, just worried about the strange VIN# causing problems down the road, not that I plan to show it for awards or anything like that.
Thanks,
gregg

42wagon    -- 09-25-2017 @ 3:09 AM
  Do you plan on lifting that body off the frame? If so you should be able to find the number at two more locations along the left frame rail. Is it possible if you look closely that there are more numbers hidden in the rust where you found the ones you have? I don't think you said but do you have a title and if so what numbers are on it?

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-25-2017 @ 8:11 AM
  Only good thing about this rust bucket is that when I went to look for VIN in the other two places, I could readily see the pertinent frame locations (front door rear area & above the axle) where the VIN should be. It was completely obliterated (rusted away), no VIN to be found, not even a trace. Didn't have to remove the body, it was rusted away in those (and other) areas. There is a lot of metal work to be done.
I don't have a title.
I have looked (with high power magnifying head lamp) multiple times at the VIN in front. There is no visible evidence of any more digits. If they existed they are now rusted away and gone.
Still stumped.
Thanks,
gregg

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-23-2021 @ 3:03 PM
  I bought the vehicle from a private party.
I have since talked with the DMV and they say I can get a bonded title. Looks like it should work out ok.
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11201