Topic: 1935 Phaeton Water Pumps

foto1man    -- 09-14-2017 @ 12:35 PM
  Hello everyone,
My 1935 Phaeton that I've had since 2000 or 2001 has decided to overheat a little. I haven't done anything yet, but I'm hearing a whirling noise that I haven't heard before, the engine is usually very quiet. Could this be one of the water pump's bearings going out maybe? And does anyone have any thoughts and/or experiences with the modified water pumps?
Thanks, Kenneth Hatcher

supereal    -- 09-15-2017 @ 1:39 PM
  That type of noise usually indicates that the impeller is slipping on the shaft. That would also account for the overheating problem. Last week we had a BMW in our shop with overheating. It was due to a slipping impeller, not unusual on that make. As the impeller can't be seen until the pump is off, it can be difficult to diagnose.

foto1man    -- 09-15-2017 @ 3:17 PM
  Thanks a lot for the reply,
Sorry but I'm not very knowledgeable on the breakdown of water pumps. Would the impeller be the internal part with the fins that moves the water? Does this have a set screw that needs to be tighten or should they both be rebuilt or replaced? Have you had any experiences with the modified water pumps that circulate more water?
Thanks, Kenneth

alanwoodieman    -- 09-15-2017 @ 4:40 PM
  1935 the pumps were located on the heads, if your 35 is equipped with the correct engine--then you are ahead of the game. no impellers are pressed on the shaft, no set screw. make sure you do not have a loose fan pulley hub on the generator, also check to see if the whirling noise could be the generator. easy enough to replace the pumps

TomO    -- 09-16-2017 @ 7:33 AM
  What do you mean by overheat a little bit? Overheating means that the coolant is boiling away. If you are concerned that the temperature gauge is showing a higher temperature than it did before, use a candy thermometer to check the coolant temperature.

Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to isolate the noise. If it is the water pump, have both of them rebuilt. While they are being rebuilt, take your radiator to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and flow tested.

If the noise is the generator front bearing, have the generator bearing and the rear bushing replaced. when you install the belt, make sure that you have 1/2" play in each direction at a point half way between the water pump pulley and the generator pulley.

If the noise is coming from th erear bushing in the generator, try adding oil to the cuo on the back of the generator.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-16-17 @ 7:36 AM

foto1man    -- 09-19-2017 @ 1:36 PM
  Thanks Tom for the reply,
Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town
After the engine runs for awhile the temp gauge, red liquid, goes all the way to the top and I'm seeing anti-freeze coming out of the louvers or the slots on the sides of the hood on the left and right sides. It may be blowing from the radiator cap or maybe even be a leak in the radiator and I also hear the whirling noise, which makes me think water pump maybe.
Thanks Kenneth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11182