Topic: Brake issues #2

46coupe    -- 09-10-2017 @ 1:59 PM
  As an update to the original brakes issues post, the master cyl. was the major culprit, but replaced the wheel cylinders and flushed the system to eliminate any other future issues, I hope.
The new problem that has cropped up, which started before the brakes locking up is: when applying the brake I am getting a pulsating through the pedal. The car stops ok, but would like to correct this problem. I am getting the drums checked for concentricity this week. It was also suggested that I wear the shoes into the drum as this might be causing the problem. Any other ideas I could explore? The brakes worked fine initially for the first months I had the car. Your help is appreciated.

supereal    -- 09-13-2017 @ 2:35 PM
  It is likely that one or more of your brake drums are out of round. As replacement drums became scarce and expensive, many were turned on a brake lathe well past the allowed .060 limit. In turn, this made the brakes unsafe. C&G has drums for most applications. Their online catalog is at www.cgfordparts.com Expect to pay about $150 each for your '46.

46coupe    -- 09-14-2017 @ 4:02 AM
  Thanks for the response. Drums are being checked for trueness tomorrow. The 4 originals worked great until one got ruined, long story. Had to replace it with a new drum. I'll be checking that drum first as well as the rest.

46coupe    -- 09-24-2017 @ 4:11 PM
  Just an update on the brake issue. The NEW drum was out of round, or as the tech put it, a lot of hi/lows on the drum. Got everything installed and test drove today. NO pulsating. yay. I never would have thought that, but was told by a fellow owner that the new drums are cast and sold, never turned. Have you all found that to be true? I don't know where the drums were made. Overseas maybe? Got them from a vendor don't remember who.
Thanks again everyone for your help. Hopefully there will be no more brake issues for this car for a long time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11173