Topic: 1942 Army Special Fordor

Mtpockets335    -- 09-10-2017 @ 1:08 PM
  Greetings all.
This is my first post, so here goes! I am restoring a 42 Fordor Special (2GA-73C) here in the UK. At the moment, I am trying to decide on the correct color for the chassis, rear and front axles. ( The body color will be olive drab.)

I would assume that all chassis were built and spray painted on their own line, and then married to the body on the final assembly line. It would be therefore reasonable to assume that all chassis were all one color, most likely black.

My problem is that every part of the chassis I have rubbed back seems to be olive drab green. I suspect a previous restoration (or two) may have altered the original colour.

I need some '42 gurus to point me in the right direction - Cheers guys!

woodiewagon46    -- 09-11-2017 @ 7:13 AM
  Very interesting question. In February 1942, all civilian automobile production was ordered stopped by the US government. It would make sense that when Ford shut down all it's paint facilities they cleaned all the equipment and made it ready for war production of government contracts. I would think that when they resumed production of military vehicles that olive drab was painted on everything. Vehicles used in war were just machines used to win the war, cosmetics was the last thing on everyones mind. Mike Nichols, '32 to '48 Station Wagon Advisor for the V-8 Club owns a beautiful war era Station Wagon and might be able to add to your question.

Mtpockets335    -- 09-11-2017 @ 2:12 PM
  Thanks Woodie
I'll try a PM to Mike.

I haven't found a lot of articles about the wartime Fordors. There is one very good article from Army Motors iss 76 'The Ford Army Sedans' by Bryce Sunderlin.
The V-8 Times index appears to have some items - 1988 Jul/Aug and 2012 Jan/Feb issues have items on Army Fordors and Blackout models. Anyone familiar with those articles?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11172