Topic: Repop Parking Lights

Bill E Bob    -- 09-09-2017 @ 7:21 AM
  I have installed a pair of repop parking lights in my '47 Ford. They came with a dual filament bulb, one red and one black wire. At this point I have connected the red to the new harness and grounded the black. On second thought does the red/black wiring amount to one for each filament in the bulb with the ground through attachment to the fender? Is this correct before I energize the circuit and get a nasty surprise?
Thanks
Bill

40cpe    -- 09-09-2017 @ 7:33 AM
  If it is a dual filament socket there is a wire for each contact in the socket. The socket grounds through the fender. In the absence of instructions, you can ohm out the sockets to see which color wire connects to the park lights and signal lights.

kubes40    -- 09-09-2017 @ 8:37 AM
  Obviously the repop lamps are poor copies of the original. Original lamps had but one wire.

Regardless, as has already been noted, both wires in your lamps are directed to the socket and as such both were intended to get "hot".
I'd suggest you either insulate the end of one wire or attach both to your existing lead for a brighter light.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Bill E Bob    -- 09-09-2017 @ 7:42 PM
  Thank you gentlemen. You have saved me a circuit breaker/fuse at the very least.

Drbrown    -- 09-09-2017 @ 10:48 PM
  Just to clarify, no mention is made regarding whether or not directional indicators/lights have been added to the car ..... they were added to my '47 and the parking light sockets and lamps were upgraded. Obviously the OE units only functioned as parking lights and thus had a one-wire one-filament lamps. The repop's noted are intended for cars where directional signal system have been added and thus use two filament lamps.

As 40cpe notes, ground is thru mounting to body. The black lead should be for the parking light circuit. and the red lead should be for a directional light circuit, if present. If directionals are not present, (1) as kubes40 suggests, the black and red leads could be combined -producing a brighter parking light, or (2) one could select which ever lead produces the dimmer or brighter desired light intensity and tape-up and not use the other lead.

Although not a stock appearance, if you are using a 12 volt system, yellow two-filament bulbs are available as an improved visionary safety feature. My State does not prohibit yellow lights from being used as parking lights. Actually, my newer family cars don't have a parking light circuit .... The headlights and "marker" lights are on one circuit.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 9-9-17 @ 10:54 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 09-10-2017 @ 5:59 AM
  Mike. I am thinking that the other filament could also be used for turn signals if they wanted to install them. Most double filament bulbs serve two masters. Like rear bulbs do - one is for brake lights, and one is for tail lights.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-11-17 @ 10:53 PM

Bill E Bob    -- 09-10-2017 @ 6:54 AM
  More interesting information from you gentlemen. Currently (pun intended), they will be used as parking lights only, however, plans are to add turn signals in the future, yet not sure if I will install lights at all 4 corners on the bumpers, or use existing filament in front with separate lights in the rear. WHICH,by the way begs the question: Can the rear brake light filament do double duty as brake light and blinker or is a separate bulb required? Answer to this question may have some bearing on how the turn signal system is installed.
As always, thank you all for your valuable information.

kubes40    -- 09-10-2017 @ 7:09 AM
  Bill E Bob,
In my opinion, signals utilizing the Ford lamps simply appear much cleaner than anything that would be bolted on.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-10-17 @ 7:54 AM

cliftford    -- 09-10-2017 @ 7:47 AM
  Yes the stop and turn lights are usually the same filament. The turn signal flashes one stop light and disconnects the other.

TomO    -- 09-10-2017 @ 9:03 AM
  You need the 7 wire turn signal switch to use the existing stop lights for turn signals. You can also hunt for a Ford turn signal switch for the 46-48 Ford and Mercury and install the turn signal wiring harness..

Tom

JT Ford    -- 09-11-2017 @ 1:02 PM
  Another good idea, if you are still running 6 volts. Don't use bulb #63's use #81's. 81's are twice the candle power.
These are single element bulbs.

supereal    -- 09-12-2017 @ 11:28 AM
  The main problem with turn signals on old cars is that they usually can't be seen because they are too small in comparison with modern cars. Years ago I put halogens in for stop lights. Even so, in bright daylight they didn't show well, so I installed a LED light bar on top of the license plate. It is very bright and comes on as a solid light, then flashes. Most drivers today are not familiar with old cars that are slower than modern vehicles, so they misjudge them as to start/stop in traffic, and no idea what hand signals are.

Silent Thunder    -- 10-21-2017 @ 6:27 PM
  I have a 100% stock 47 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe, I want to add directional's by changing the socket to two wire front and back then add a 6V positive ground switch on the column. Question is will this deduct points if judged in the concurs factory original category? My other classic cars allow upgrades for safety reasons such as seat belts, dual master cylinders and I believe directional's would be a safety concern. Thoughts??

41-42fordadvisor    -- 10-22-2017 @ 6:44 AM
  There is no point deduction for installing turn signals on cars that are point judged at V-8 club national meets. As long as they are done neatly. Fred Killian

trjford8    -- 10-22-2017 @ 7:26 AM
  If you do not want to have a turn switch on the steering column, you can buy a turn toggle switch from American Auto Wire and place it on a small bracket under the dash. I just bought one on e-Bay for $25 for my '40. I will use the '40 parking lamps and the brake lamps for signal lights. No need to add extra lights.

Silent Thunder    -- 10-22-2017 @ 10:40 AM
  I think I will do just that. I will also use existing lights and just change the socket and use cloth covered period correct wire.

sarahcecelia    -- 10-22-2017 @ 11:45 AM
  For future reference: All park and tail lights ground on the socket. If they have one contact they are single filiment, if they have two they are double filiment and are for park/turn signals and or tail light (turn signal) / brake.

Regards, Steve Lee

JayChicago    -- 10-22-2017 @ 4:50 PM
  Triford8

Thanks for sharing that info on the hidden toggle switch alternative to the column mounted turn signal switch. I didn't know that existed. I went to American Auto Wire's website and looked at the details. That is a neat little device, takes care of the turn signal/brake light circuits interference problem. I have bought from American Auto Wire in the past for a fifties car, and everything from them was high quality.

I am still debating if I want to put turn signals on my '40, but if I do I will use that hidden toggle switch. (there is still a lot of non-stock wiring that needs to be added to the car with any turn signal set-up, which bothers me a little)

supereal    -- 10-23-2017 @ 9:01 AM
  Using the parking lights as turn signals usually doesn't produce enough brightness to function as such. I installed halogen sockets and lamps to both my parking lamps and stop lights, which helped somewhat. Compared to the huge bright modern vehicle lights, old cars are at a disadvantage. After being rear ended making a turn years ago, I installed a LED light bar to have a "third" stoplight on my '47.

engine    -- 10-29-2017 @ 10:21 AM
  Where can you get the 81 bulb, went to a auto parts store and they did not have that number.

TomO    -- 10-30-2017 @ 10:43 AM
  Bob's Bulbs

Update: I can no longer find this website, they may be out of business.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-31-17 @ 6:59 AM

supereal    -- 11-07-2017 @ 10:57 AM
  The LED bulbs came in the kit from Drake that replaced the original two filament bulbs. LED bulbs are becoming more available and less costly, and should be readily found, including headlights. They are ideal for old cars, as they require much less wattage to produce brighter light. Already LED retrofits are on the market to replace incandescent for home lighting. At my house, the electric bill was reduced by 30%!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11169