Topic: 1947 Convertible Windshield info

crusinforty    -- 09-02-2017 @ 4:32 PM
  Hello,

We are in the process of install the windshield, side windows, and top on our 1947 Convertible. I am looking for any information on how to accomplish these tasks. I have a new windshield seal an really need info on how to install.

Thanks

pauls39coupe    -- 09-02-2017 @ 4:54 PM
  Dennis Carpenter has an excellent how to on installing the windshield. I believe it comes with the seal kit or by request.
Short version: determine the top side of your gasket/seal, install the glass in the seal, use plenty of liquid soap (Dawn).
Place a thin cord ( window sash cord) in the lip grove on the face of the seal.
Have a couple of friends push the assembly against the windshield frame from the inside.
From the outside lift the cord so that it brings the rubber seal lip over the windshield frame. Lift and pull the cord around the window till the seal is in place.
The glass should now be firmly in the frame. Replace the center stainless divider, and the stainless trim on the outside.
Liquid soap is your friend, use as much as it takes.
I would recommend a professional, to install the top. There are too many tricks used to make them look correct.

crusinforty    -- 09-02-2017 @ 5:38 PM
  Great thanks for the information. How can I determine which side of the windshield rubber goes to the outside? I have a seal I purchase from Bob Drake, no directions. Thanks Again!

TomO    -- 09-03-2017 @ 7:28 AM
  Here is a link to Ford's instructions for installing the glass.

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_body.htm

I believe that the 1947 Convertible had a stainless trim piece that fit in a groove in the seal. That should be the outside.

If you look at the illustration on Drake's website, the flap that points down is on the outside and the groove that holds the glass is on the inside.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-3-17 @ 7:55 AM

pauls39coupe    -- 09-03-2017 @ 5:28 PM
  The lip/flap goes to the outside. There is a top and bottom, I believe the bottom edge of the glass has a curve and the top is straight. Be sure the gasket / seal is on the glass correctly before attempting installation.
Paul

supereal    -- 09-06-2017 @ 10:48 AM
  The best instructions I have seen are those from Carpenter. It is a pictorial that was on the back cover of his catalog. I have it in my file. If you have the bright trim, it goes in after the glass and rubber is in place. Be sure the new seal (gasket) is correct. The type for the convertible is different, regardless of what you may be told. As to the top, have a good auto trim shop do the install. I used a LeBaron Bonney top. It is high quality, but fitting it is not a job for a beginner. I had a friend with a '48 convertible try to do it himself. He go it on, and it looked good, except when the top was up and latched, he couldn't get the doors open!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11149