Topic: 3rd Brake lLight Wiring

Dream38v8    -- 08-31-2017 @ 1:30 PM
  Trying to install a 3rd brake light on my '38 deluxe. Problem is I am not an electrician. I have connected the wires as described in the instructions.The brake light will not light up. I tested the light prior to the installation and it does work. I do not know whether I have a bad ground connection or a bad connection on the brake light wire. How can I make this determination?

Ray

MG    -- 08-31-2017 @ 1:56 PM
  Voltage? - is the light 6 or 12 volt? Two wire? - one wire to ground and the other to where? - to the brake light switch? How did you wire it? Is the new brake light an LED - LED's are polarity sensitive - reverse the wires....

Dream38v8    -- 08-31-2017 @ 2:53 PM
  This is a 6V LED brake light. I've just proved the ground connection is OK. I direct wired the wire that connects onto the brake light wire directly to the battery. I was not connected to the brake light wire. As soon as I connected to the battery the light lite. Hence in my simple mind the ground is OK. I do not have a '38 wiring diagram, but a '36. According to the diagram the black wire is for the tail lights and the green (lighter wire) if for the brake light. Is this the same for the '38 Deluxe Fordor? I am using a clam sh*ll connector to attach to the brake light wire. The is not much room to cut the wire and splice in. Any additional ideas. I believe my problem is how I am connecting onto the brake light wire.

Ray

MG    -- 08-31-2017 @ 3:22 PM
  Yes, the Green wire is for the brake/stop lights and the Black wire is for the tail lights. You never did say if the new LED brake light is two wire or one wire. I assume that the "clam sh*ll connector" you're using has to be crimped on to the Green wire and sometimes the insulation is not penetrated deep enough when doing this. You might have to strip the insulation little bit to make a good connection....

Dream38v8    -- 08-31-2017 @ 4:46 PM
  I located the problem. The clamsh*ll connector provided with the kit had not cut through to the brake light wire. Once I corrected the connector the brake light worked correctly.

Ray

TomO    -- 09-01-2017 @ 6:46 AM
  The clam sh*ll connector should be weather proofed by wrapping it with a good weatherproof tape, like Gorilla tape.

If you use the Gorilla tape, tear it along it's length for a 1/2" strip long enough to cover the connector.

Tom

cliftford    -- 09-01-2017 @ 9:33 AM
  Here's a time saving hint: when you use any kind of tape on an electrical connection, take the last 1/2 in. and fold back on itself. That makes it easy to remove it if you ever need to.

supereal    -- 09-02-2017 @ 11:49 AM
  The easiest and most acceptable place to connect a "third" stop light is at the stoplight switch on the master cylinder. Connect the light to the wire on the switch that is not "hot", with the other side of the light to a known good ground. On my '47 I mounted the light on top of the license plate, and rant the wire through a hole I drilled in one of the bolts that attach the license plate bracket to the trunk lid, eliminating having to drill the trunk lid itself.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11141