Topic: New-to me '36 Ford Convert Sedan

bossboy302    -- 08-29-2017 @ 8:27 PM
  Hello. 1st post.
Just bought my father (91) a 1936 Ford Convert Sedan, same color, year and model that he bought in 1946 post-Navy.
Hope to surprise him with it in a couple weeks.
Sorting out a few things and have question:
Does this model have interior courtesy lamps and if so, where are they? (Battery keeps going dead. Thanks you, Brian

Model B    -- 08-30-2017 @ 5:26 AM
  Brian, A couple of things I would check first...If you have the original style cut-out (located on top of the generator), you can disconnect it. Sometimes the contacts stick and will discharge the battery. Another check would be to remove the fuse located behind the dash. This is primarily used for the lighting circuit. If there is a short or draw somewhere in the light circuit...it should stop when the fuse is removed. If there is a draw somewhere, you'll need to check each of the lights to see where the draw is. Good luck, Pat

TomO    -- 08-30-2017 @ 7:12 AM
  To check for a current draw, disconnect the ground cable from the battery and connect a test light between the battery post and the cable. If the light glows, you have a short somewhere. Start disconnecting the wires that Model B described one at a time until the test light does not come on. Repair the short and reconnect the wires one at a time and test after each circuit is restored, to make sure that you have all of the shorts.

Tom

bossboy302    -- 08-30-2017 @ 5:06 PM
  Thank you both.
Have nbattery fully charges (6.4v). Starts and runs. Removed ground strap from battery and bridged w/ test light as suggested. Glows. Damn. So now to continue the recommended tests. Will report back. Thanks again.

bossboy302    -- 08-30-2017 @ 5:50 PM
  Ok, so removed the lights fuse, test light still glows.
So I remove the break (contact) on top of the generator, and test light goes out.
It appears fairly new to me, and I think it may have been wired incorrectly.
The yellow 'hot' lead goes in, but the output wires aren't color coded in my illustration.
What I found was the short yellow wire going to ground, and the curly black wire was to the brake output. Seems backwards to me. Thoughts?

bossboy302    -- 08-30-2017 @ 6:24 PM
  Success...sort of....

Re-wired the break pot and, voila. No glowing test light at all. But when ignition is on, there is a new, rapid ticking under the car, near the battery.
Sounds like an electric fuel pump. Not.
What might this sound be?
TIA.

bossboy302    -- 08-30-2017 @ 7:40 PM
  It IS an electric fuel pump!
Small inline unit. Aftermarket, of course.
Car runs and drives great. Ready to give to my dad.
Thanks

TomO    -- 08-31-2017 @ 6:43 AM
  Brain,

Glad you were able to fix it. Because the car is new to you, I have the following questions.

Does your ammeter show a charge when you are driving?

Did you install the battery with the POS post going to ground as designed?

Tom

mhsprecher    -- 08-31-2017 @ 4:35 PM
  Such a great gift to your father. I never had the chance to tell my father, who died when I was eight, and my step father, what they meant to me. You are lucky to have had him so long and to get the chance to repay him for all he did for you. I am sure there won't be a dry eye around when you do this.

mhsprecher    -- 08-31-2017 @ 4:36 PM
  Such a great gift to your father. I never had the chance to tell my father, who died when I was eight, and my step father, what they meant to me. You are lucky to have had him so long and to get the chance to repay him for all he did for you. I am sure there won't be a dry eye around when you do this.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11137