Topic: radiator fin restoration

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-28-2017 @ 2:14 PM
  Hi All,
Time to clean up my 37 radiator. It holds water and seems to be in decent shape. There is a fair amount of "fin damage". This is where something has brushed up against the fins, mostly on the engine side, and folded the fins over, reducing cooling capability. I am setting out to individually straighten each fin and as you can imagine, it is extremely monotonous, difficult and time consuming.

Does anyone know where I can get a "fin straightening" tool. Right now I am improvising with a small flat blade screw driver, to be followed with some thin needle nose pliers. Certainly there is something more effective? even if home made?
Would appreciate folk's experience doing this, do's and do-not's, tools, etc.

Thanks,
gregg

40 Coupe    -- 08-28-2017 @ 2:29 PM
  Most of the air conditioning stores sell fin combs. Get your number of fins per inch since there are several different.

1940 Tom    -- 08-28-2017 @ 2:33 PM
  Good Afternoon, Gregg---

Do an internet search - "radiator fin comb". Looks like there is a ton of various types, styles and sizes out there and available. I think you can find one that will work for you.

It's possible some other Club members have some other suggestions for the fin straightening work, but they will advise.

Good luck on your radiator project.

Tom

kubes40    -- 08-28-2017 @ 2:34 PM

I had silver soldered a pair of very thin pieces of steel to the end of a needle nose pliers. Time consuming task to straighten an entire core but the results are wonderful.
If you're not seeking perfection, attempt to locate a comb.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-28-17 @ 2:36 PM

MG    -- 08-28-2017 @ 2:50 PM
  eBay has a variety of fin combs here > https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=radiator+fin+tool&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-28-2017 @ 3:19 PM
  Wow, lots of choices. Looks like Autozone and O'Reilly's carries them. Good excuse to go for a spin.
Radiator fin spacing is: 11 fins/inch, 10 fin spacing/inch.
Thanks to all for the quick responses. I wanna get this thing done and on the road.
gregg

len47merc    -- 08-28-2017 @ 4:13 PM
  I use one like this and it works very well:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/robinair-4797/tools---equipment-16488/tools-17919/mechanics-tools-16816/air-conditioning-tools-16499/gauges---specialty-tools-17979/radiator-condenser-fin-comb/18403/4703645

Believe I purchased it from NAPA originally.

Steve

sarahcecelia    -- 08-28-2017 @ 4:20 PM
  I have a little kit that I bought years ago to straighten radiator fins. It has little plastic combs in it for different fin spacings. I think you should ask someone in the AC business. or google "Cooling fin tool," or if that doesn't work, use your imagination to try different variations of that on Google.

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 08-28-2017 @ 7:09 PM
  Gregg, There isn't a slick labor saving way to do a good job on the fins. A comb can give you a quickie, but is sloppy and can damage some fins while straightening others. If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Alan

len47merc    -- 08-29-2017 @ 6:13 AM
  To Alan's very good point, the 'comb' I referenced earlier was only effective in repairing/straightening about 50% of the bent fins on my '47 (rear/fan side). Other areas were too damaged for the comb to be effective without tearing/damaging the thin fins. These areas were carefully straightened with a lot of focus, patience and time using small thin nylon implements, etc., one fin/one point of damage at a time. The comb works great in 'repairing' mildly bent fins only. To do it 'right' as Alan states you'll need to simply bite the bullet and invest the time. Much of what I used the comb for was simply to fine-tune those areas I had necessarily repaired one fin at a time.

Steve

ford38v8    -- 08-29-2017 @ 10:02 AM
  Ah, Steve, that's right, the "fine tuning" is where a comb is really useful, once the individual fins are close to final alignment.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11133