Topic: 1933 ford

fredsr    -- 08-23-2017 @ 8:16 PM
  Recently purchased an original 3 window coupe that I would like to have restored. I'm located in New Jersey and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good restorer.
Thank you, Fred

This message was edited by fredsr on 8-28-17 @ 7:06 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 08-24-2017 @ 6:24 AM
  Fred, if you are a member of the AACA there are a number of restoration shops that advertise in their magazine. Perhaps you can borrow the magazine if you aren't a member. 1933 Ford, 3 window, bring your checkbook, in fact bring your entire bank account. I had a friend bring his '32 Ford, 3 window to a shop and they quoted him around $100,000.

1940 Tom    -- 08-24-2017 @ 7:23 AM
  Good Morning, Fred---

I had my Deluxe 4dr. Sedan restored by White Post Restorations. They have been in business since 1940 and are located in White Post, Virginia, about 90 minutes from Washington DC and about an hour from Dulles Airport. The restoration was simply superb. Excellent quality and customer service.

www.whitepost.com - (540) 837-1140.

I agree 200% with woodiewagon46. THESE GUYS AIN'T CHEAP! Depending on the extent of the restoration you are looking for, woodiewagon46's comments about the $100K price tag sounds about right. Whoever you choose, call the shop and thoroughly discuss your project, or go for a visit - investigate before you invest.

Good luck with the 33 coupe.

Tom

TomO    -- 08-24-2017 @ 7:40 AM
  If the coupe is original, sometimes it is better to not restore them. It may be better to just make it run better. Post a few photos of the car and you can get some opinions here.

There is a Regional Group in New Jersey and you might want to attend one of their meetings and get some local opinions on the car and restoration shops. Here is a link to their website:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/earlyfordv8region38/?club=earlyfordv8region38

Tom

TomO    -- 08-24-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  I meant to include a photo of my original 53 Lincoln and clicked on the wrong file. Here is the correct file and photo

Tom

len47merc    -- 08-24-2017 @ 11:25 AM
  Fred - food for thought here - what are your plans for the car (no need to answer)? Trailer queen showing for judging to potential Dearborn Award standards? High quality driver for long-distance tours and/or shows? High quality driver for putzing around town/cruise-ins? Do you want it restored to as original yet wish to drive it routinely?

Some love trailer queens and only drive the cars off the trailers to be judged then back in. On the other end of the spectrum are those that care primarily about dependability and driving the car short and long distances. In the latter group are those that must have it looking pristine and shiny - a ten-to-twenty footer to feel good about it personally when driving it, others just enjoy the thrill of driving it and love the original patina throughout. Do you love to routinely wash, polish, wax, dust, etc., cars (no need to answer)? Does the slightest blemish on any part of a car routinely get in your 'eye' (no need to answer)? Do you have to pull off the road to wipe the inevitable bird dropping off your fresh paint or can it wait (no need to answer)? Depending upon the quality of the car you have how will you feel about a stone chip on the hood or a dink in a windshield and how willing are you to accept either and keep on driving versus have to repair it immediately? If you are prepared to deal with the inevitable if driving the car and can accept your emotional and financial ability to deal with these things that will help in your decision making as well.

Setting a clear personal plan and objective for the car in advance of contacting a restoration shop is critical to obtaining what you want to do with the car in the end. Walking into a restoration shop without your plan (and you may already have thought through all of this and more and already have one) is tantamount to going grocery shopping when hungry - and you know the grocers place the impulse buys at eye level, so don't let them 'see you coming' - it is easy to get up-sold on restorations. And if you are going for perfection know you'll likely never get out of the car financially what you will ultimately have to put in to it to get it there.

TomO's advice is very good. Post a few pics (1 pic per reply is how the site works so you'll likely have to make several replies) and solicit comments from the guys here on their thoughts. I am sure the guys here will be glad to weigh in with their knowledge and experience and help you with your decision on the best route for you to take personally with your coupe.

Steve

kubes40    -- 08-24-2017 @ 12:40 PM
  I think 1940Tom, TomO and LenMerc47(Steve) have offered especially good advice here. In my opinion they are all "spot on".
It is imperative that you know precisely what you demand in a restoration. I've seen 1940Tom's '40 sedan and it is with little doubt the finest restored 1940 sedan in the USA.
His advice in regard to Whitepost is quite accurate. They've been around for a long time and have a stellar reputation.

I would like to add this:
While often a fully (and truly) restored car is not as valuable monetarily as the costs involved, there are intrinsic values that only few can appreciate.
The word "restored" is overused as well as misused way too often. Few cars are actually restored. Refinished, refurbished, rebuilt, modified - sure. Restored? Seldom.
A true restoration to a top level is a very rare thing. Many folks advertise and / or claim their cars are restored yet sport items (examples) such as modified brake and charging systems. Those cars are not "restored". They may be pretty and they may drive nicely but restored? Hardly.
Even my restorations are not "true" in the sense that the cars are far beyond any quality Ford was capable of producing on an assembly line.
However, they are "correct" down to the last nut, bolt and cotter pin and are of the finest quality I am capable of.
Trailer queens? Sure. Are they capable of being driven? Without question.
My point here is, a true and proper restoration is more than skin deep. That's where the associated costs come in. 1940Tom quite correctly advised that $100k is in the ballpark.
I do these restorations for my pleasure. The thrill of recreating a true piece of history with my own hands is priceless.
As a parting note... true #1 restored cars are very rare and as such will always hold their comparative value better than lesser quality cars. The simple economic rule of supply & demand dictates this to be true. My personal experience has also borne this to be true.

Fred, would you please allow private messages? I'd like to correspond with you. Thanks!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-24-17 @ 12:42 PM

kubes40    -- 08-25-2017 @ 5:38 PM
  To further my point (previous post) about the word "restoration" being misused, check out this '40 PU
eBay item number:

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

mrtexas    -- 08-25-2017 @ 6:02 PM
  Spend $100k on the restoration and you would then
have a car worth $60k but that is how paying to restore
works. Better to buy one already done unless there is some
sentimental value to it.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-26-2017 @ 11:53 AM
  Fred, I don't know if you are a member of the AACA but there is a discussion on this very topic on their site.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-26-2017 @ 5:31 PM
  woodiewagon46,

The article sounds very interesting. I am not familiar with the AACA site. Any chance you could post a link to the article?

Charlie Stephens

fredsr    -- 08-28-2017 @ 7:05 PM
  Thank you I will check allow private messages.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-29-2017 @ 7:12 AM
  Charlie, the discussion is on the AACA site in the Forum section. As far as a "link", I'm basically computer illiterate so if you can explain what you want I can get my grand daughter to help me.

Kens 36    -- 08-29-2017 @ 8:25 AM
  Is this the AACA discussion you are referring to? http://forums.aaca.org/topic/297681-professional-restoration-shops-length-of-time-to-finish-car-data/

Ken

woodiewagon46    -- 08-29-2017 @ 11:50 AM
  Yes Ken, thats it, thanks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11123