Topic: fuel pump help

sonof19    -- 04-16-2010 @ 7:31 PM
  1948 super deluxe v-8 hope some one can tell me what is wrong with the new fuel pump I just put on it will not fill up the bowl or get any gas to the carb. new gas line/new tank/ new carb/new fuel pump. I am on a six hundard mile trip. I have rig up a electric fuel pump but would like to have the orginal. but I can't get it to work.thanks son of 19

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2010 @ 8:00 PM
  Sonof19, If everything is new, then you've likely developed an air leak at one of the fittings. The stock pump cannot pull fuel past an air pocket. The first place to check for the leak is at the pump glass bowl top. If it has a cork gasket, pull it and soak it in warm oil to allow it to compress to a good seal.

In-line filters come with spring hose clamps, which are garbage. Get the screw-worm type clamps.

Alan

carcrazy    -- 04-16-2010 @ 9:12 PM
  I know this might sound kind of crazy but are you sure you have the lines hooked up to the correct fuel pump ports ie fuel line from tank to inlet port and line to carburetor to the outlet port? Also, are you sure the pump pushrod is engaged in the pump rocker arm? Is the pushrod of the correct length for your application?

trjford8    -- 04-16-2010 @ 9:15 PM
  If you just put in a new tank you should check the line fitting where it goes into the tank and make sure it is tight. Also if you replaced the gas cap make sure it is a vented cap. Some of the caps being sold are not vented and this will cause a vacuum in the tank and not allow the pump to pull gas.

sonof19    -- 04-17-2010 @ 5:54 AM
  Thanks everone. hey ford 38-v8 u may of hit it with that air leak. I was farting around with it last night and a new flex hose that I just bought from antique auto just came apart. the end just pop off".I will try to find a new one today. I will post as soon as I get it working.we are here in pigon forge tn. for the car show I bet there is a lot of members here. thanks again son of 19

TomO    -- 04-17-2010 @ 8:10 AM
  The defective flex line was probably the cause of your pumps failure to suck up gas. If a new line does not solve your problem, check the vacuum at the input to the fuel pump. The vacuum should rise to 10 inches within 18 seconds of cranking.

I have seen a few of the Airtex fuel pumps that had enough play in the operating arm, so that they could not develop more than 5 inches of vacuum when on the car.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-17-2010 @ 8:32 AM
  you can test the fuel pump,if removed, hook up the feed line into it and put a fuel line on out side, work the pump with your hands, or use a wood dowel and work the lever up and down and see if it pumps,
use a can for the line that come out of the pump, you will also be able to see how much it pumps.
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

ANTIQUE PARTS CELLAR in MASS ,,, has nice flex fuel lines and also sells a excellant fuel pump kits as well as will rebuild your fuel pump,
they also sell the tapered copper washers that will make a air less seal,on the fitting,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-17-10 @ 8:33 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1112