Topic: Brake Issues

46coupe    -- 08-20-2017 @ 4:36 AM
  This thread is a continuation of the wheel cylinder discussion. Previously:I have a wheel cylinder/brake issue. Possibly you all will help me here instead of starting a new thread. The history is: 46 Super Deluxe coupe, rebuilt/ and honed all wheel cylinders, installed new brake shoes, rebuilt master cylinder, replaced front brake hoses as we found the previous ones that looked new but were actually collapsing and locking the wheels.
Yesterday I had a weird noise coming from the right rear wheel. Luckily I was only 100 yds from my favorite garage and pulled in to see if I could get the car on the lift. We did and a E-brake retainer fastener had failed and part of the linkage was in the drum. That we fixed. While inspecting the other wheels we found that some were locked up and some were not. Had a devil of a time getting the car in the shop and on the lift. We closed the brake shoes as far as we could and the wheels barely turned. The drums and back plates were not hot. When we finally got the drum off the right front, the left front spun freely. We put the drum back on and could hardly turn the left or right front. We had found fluid in the front cup on the right cylinder. Does the fluid some how equalize in the system? Could this be causing the brake shoes to over tighten and then loosen? I've ordered new front cylinders and will install the old shoes on the front as we think we found a hump in the center of the new shoes. Any Ideas??

46coupe    -- 08-20-2017 @ 4:38 AM
  A principal of physics that I learned in my junior year in High School in 1954: "When pressure is applied to a liquid in an enclosure, that pressure will be equal at all points. Thus when you put pressure on the brake fluid with the master cylinder, the pressure is equal at all four wheels, Even tho the lines are different lengths.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
08-19-2017 @ 6:06 PM

reply profile send p.m.

Tom may be right on track. Check the "free play" on the master cylinder.You only need a little, but if there is none, the pressure will build to the point that the brakes will actually "lock up."

46coupe    -- 08-20-2017 @ 4:49 AM
  Sorry, Tom. This is the only way I could figure out how to continue the discussion from the other thread for the new people that might read this. On to the latest response. I understand the physics involved and the definition of "free play". What I want to know is- how much free play, what could have caused it not to have any all of a sudden, and how to introduce, or adjust for it? I've messed with brakes quite awhile and never ran into anything like this. It sounds like this could be the answer as the 4 corners did lock up outside of the garage bay and I had to keep doing little jumps by releasing the clutch at higher rpms until the wheels suddenly freed up. At the time we thought it was the left rear wheel causing it. We didn't discover this 4 corner issue until the car was in the air and we tried to spin the wheels.
Is there anyway I can copy this thread to print out a hard copy for my notebook?
Thanks again

TomO    -- 08-20-2017 @ 8:10 AM
  You need the freeplay in order to insure that the piston uncovers the bypass port.

To adjust the freeplay, loosen the locking nut on the push rod and then adjust the rod for 1/4" to 1/2" of free play at the pedal. Tighten the lock nut and recheck the free play.

You can pull the pedal to see how much freeplay there is. You should be able to feel the rod touching the piston in the master cylinder.

The free play would have changed when you rebuilt the master cylinder.

Click on "General Ford Discussion" and you should see a topic called "Print a Discussion".

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-21-17 @ 7:31 AM

cliftford    -- 08-20-2017 @ 8:04 PM
  If you adjust the free play as TomO advises, that should do the trick. If not I would pull the master cylinder and check for incorrect assembly or a plugged port.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-21-2017 @ 6:36 AM
  How much free play? Just enough so you can feel it when you depress the clutch by HAND! That might be as little as 1/8 inch plus or minus a little. It's not a measurement, it's a "feel."If you can "feel it" it's enough. That, as I said in a previous, thread will keep the system from building up pressure. Believe me, 'caus in"the day" I did literally 100's of brake jobs.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-21-17 @ 6:38 AM

supereal    -- 08-22-2017 @ 2:04 PM
  The master cylinder has a valve in it that keeps a small amount of pressure in the lines as the brakes are used. This prevents having to pump the pedal each time you stop. If this valve isn't working properly, the first symptom is that the brakes begin to drag, and may eventually lock the car from moving.

46coupe    -- 08-24-2017 @ 3:03 PM
  Just got back from the garage where we installed new front wheel cylinders. My new wheel cylinder kits that I had installed less than a year ago had rust on the pistons [probably wrong term}. Bled the brakes. Also we checked the free play as soon as the car was lifted. It was ok. Test drove the car and it seemed to work ok.
Drove the car 4 miles home and pulled into the garage. Checked the front hubs which were hot. The rear was luke warm. Put the car in neutral and it would not budge. Any ideas? The rear cylinders were rebuilt, but after seeing what the fronts looked like, I'll probably replace them with new complete ones. Brake hoses were replaced when this started initially. The new hoses corrected the lock up problem at that point. Could the new hoses be collapsing? The car will go back to the garage next week and the master cylinder valve will be checked. We will also be turning the drums to clean them up and double checking the shoe adjustments {new shoes already installed}.
The only things left to replace after the rear cylinders will be all the springs. Very frustrating. Will welcome any other ideas to try.

40cpe    -- 08-24-2017 @ 3:11 PM
  You can check if built-up pressure is the cause of your problem. I would get it to the point of not rolling easily and break the connection of the brake line at the master cylinder. If it bleeds pressure and the car rolls, you have narrowed the problem to the master cylinder. If it is still locked, work toward each end until it frees up.

46coupe    -- 08-24-2017 @ 3:29 PM
  That's an idea we can try with the old MC. Also where is the valve located in the master cylinder? Going to N.C. tomorrow to see family and will be going to Dennis Carpenters on Saturday for new rear cylinders, and possibly a new master cylinder. Any other ideas are appreciated.

carcrazy    -- 08-24-2017 @ 8:01 PM
  One thing that could cause the front wheel hubs to get very hot is front wheel bearings that are too tight.

TomO    -- 08-25-2017 @ 7:09 AM
  Here is a link to the master cylinder cutaway drawing.

The bypass port must be open when the brakes are released and the intake valve also acts as a residual valve.

Too much freeplay will only lower the pedal, so you can add 2 turns of freeplay to the pedal to see if that is your problem. The brake fluid expands as it get warm from use, so the freeplay could seem to be OK when the fluid is cool, but end up as not enough when the fluid is warm.

If adding 2 turns of freeplay fixes the problem, you can back off 1 turn and recheck the free play and brake action.

If it does not fix the problem, the intake valve may be defective.

Most local parts houses can order a new or re-manufactured master cylinder.

Rust on the wheel cylinder pistons should not cause this problem as they should be aluminum and the rubber cups provide the seal.

Tom

46coupe    -- 08-27-2017 @ 5:40 PM
  Hi Tom,
Did not get the link. Have ordered new rear wheel cylinders and a new master cylinder. When these are installed all parts will be new, except the metal lines which seem ok. Installing on Wed., I hope. I'll let you all know how it goes and if there are anymore problems with the brakes. Sure hope not. Can I print out certain sections of this thread by highlighting them, instead of the whole thread getting printed?
Thanks

46coupe    -- 08-28-2017 @ 6:35 PM
  I have pics of the wheel cylinders that we took out. Lots of rust on the pistons and wheel cylinder walls. The piston in one of the cylinders would not budge until I kept flushing it with hot water and it finally broke free. How does "aluminum" rust, or the honed walls of the cylinders rust? The brake lines had been flushed, new fluid was added less than 6 months ago and the car is kept in a temp controlled garage.

TomO    -- 08-28-2017 @ 6:54 PM
  Here is the link

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_brakes-pics/Flathead_Brakes_mastercyl_1939-40.jpg

The rust comes from the cast iron wheel cylinders. The aluminum corrosion is white and the pistons will corrode if left in a water solution for a long period of time.

DOT 3 brake fluid attracts water, so if you did not use a fresh can of brake fluid, it may have had water in it.

With that amount of corrosion, I would flush the brake system with denatured alcohol and then again with fresh DOT 3 brake fluid before the new parts are installed. You will have to plug the rear lines in order to flush the front lines.

The only way that I know how to print certain sections is to highlight the sections and copy them and then past the copies into a word processing program. You can then prit from the program.

Tom

46coupe    -- 08-30-2017 @ 4:52 AM
  Thanks for the link which is very helpful. Apparently the fluid was contaminated to cause so much trouble. I'll flush the system as suggested and with the new parts and new fluid, hopefully all of it will work for a long time.
Of all the old cars I've had this is the first time I have ever had this much trouble with brakes. Most of those cars never got the fluid changed and no problems. Guess I was just lucky and ignorance was bliss:)
Thanks again for your help.
Brad

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11107