Topic: Car Shudders In Reverse

39Fordfan    -- 08-15-2017 @ 7:05 PM
  I've got a '39 Deluxe Fordor that shudders when you try to back it up. It seems like the rear brakes are grabbing in reverse, especially when going up even a slight grade.

About 10 years ago I got the car out of restoration. The brakes and clutch had been replaced and none of this ever happened. One Spring a few seasons ago, the right rear wheel cylinder started leaking. I took it to a local classic car shop and they replaced the rear shoes on both sides, the leaking wheel cylinder and the master cylinder. They also flushed and cleaned the system and put DOT 5 in it. When I got it back, it had this shuddering in reverse problem. I took it back to them, but they couldn't figure it out after several attempts.

So I've taken it to two other shops with old timers who can't figure it out either. They said the first guy didn't appear to have done anything wrong, everything looked normal. The shoes were installed correctly. Drums were good. They adjusted the brake shoes and adjusted the clutch, but we still get this awful shuddering in reverse up a slight grade or more. It usually works fine in reverse if you are dead level or going down the grade.

Sometimes I have no choice but to ride the heck out of the clutch to get it to back up, usually up a light grade like a driveway. Now I get a bit of a shudder in 1st and 2nd, its as if the brakes are dragging a bit. Though nothing like the teeth rattling you get in reverse. Now I'm wondering if I'm beginning to wear out what was a new clutch?

Is it possible this has always been a clutch issue and its just a coincidence it started when I got it back from the original rear brake job? Or is it possible they somehow messed something up with either the original shoes, the wheel cylinder replacement or the master cylinder replacement?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

carcrazy    -- 08-15-2017 @ 8:51 PM
  You may be experiencing "clutch chatter". Clutch chatter can happen for many reasons. Loose motor mounts; loose transmission mounts; and with a torque tube driveshaft, loose rear shock absorber links or rear spring mounts can all contribute to clutch chatter. With loose connections between the frame and the rear axle, clutch chatter will be much worse in reverse.

LarryK    -- 08-16-2017 @ 4:35 AM
  I believe you are experiencing clutch chatter. In addition to the items mentioned by carcrazy, check that the engine radius rods or steady rods are installed and tightened at both ends.
I had this problem with my 1939 Deluxe Tudor even with a newly rebuilt clutch and pressure plate. The solution was another rebuild of the clutch with a softer engaging disc. Fort Wayne Clutch can provide this if you explain the problem to them.

Larry

len47merc    -- 08-16-2017 @ 5:48 AM
  39Fordfan - there is a plethora of information on this forum about clutch chatter. Try doing the search for all and you should get more than enough feedback on it. From personal experience, and a very likely culprit if you are experiencing clutch chatter, and the quickest and easiest thing to check is for loose engine mounts.

Just a thought and I ask the more seasoned veterans here to weigh in on this - any chance that when the brake shoes were replaced they installed the large shoe and the small shoe in the wrong configuration? And if so guys could this cause his problem?

Steve

TomO    -- 08-17-2017 @ 7:18 AM
  39Fordfan,

If your brake shoes are grabbing, your wheels would get hot after a short drive, or your brakes would pull the car to one side when applied hard as in a panic stop.

From your description of the problem, I would check the cushions on the motor mounts and the transmission mounts. Read the following topics.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10525&keywords=clutch%20chatter

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10545&keywords=clutch%20chatter

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11091