Topic: 1951 fords

SPIKE    -- 04-15-2010 @ 6:17 PM
  Does anyone know when the date of the 1951 fords debut at the ford dealers for sale. I was thinking it was around November 25th,1951 but I am not sure.
thanks so much for all your help,
spike

supereal    -- 04-16-2010 @ 8:10 AM
  When I worked for a Ford dealer, the usual time for new model unveiling was September. It was a big deal, with the showroom windows covered until the "big day" to heighten buyer interest.

deluxe40    -- 04-16-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  In Lorin Sorensen's book, "Ford's Golden Fifties", it says, "The 1951 Fords ... will be introduced in Ford dealerships throughout the nation Friday, November 2." (pg. 47) Curiously, this quote is attributed to the "Ford News Bureau, Dearborn, November 23, 1950". There is a photo on the same page with the caption, "Dealer's and nation's press get their first look at the new '51 Ford models at a special preview at Detroit's Masonic Temple during the week of November 10, 1950."

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 4-16-10 @ 9:09 AM

trjford8    -- 04-16-2010 @ 9:08 PM
  Bob, in your area did they use searchlights on introduction day? Out here there were searchlights that lit up the sky on Friday night when the new cars were introduced. It was a big deal in our town and looking at the new cars was a big night out for mom,dad and the kids. I remember gathering up all the brochures from each of the dealers. Sure wish I had them today.

SPIKE    -- 04-17-2010 @ 8:29 AM
  Delux 40,
My 50 was made on oct 25th 1950.How does that coinside with the dates in loraines book. Wouldn't have to be later don't you think.
spike

deluxe40    -- 04-17-2010 @ 8:54 PM
  Spike, That does seem late in the year to still be making '50 Fords. Maybe different plants changed over on different dates and your car was made at a plant that had lots of '50 parts to use up. Or, maybe "introducing" the '51 just meant they would start taking orders while the last of the '50s were still available for sale. I'm just guessing. I can still remember the dealers' windows all covered with white stuff so we couldn't see the new cars before they were officially introduced. My dad used to take me to the dealerships when the doors opened so we could collect brochures. However, the newness hadn't yet worn off of our family's Miami Cream '49 convertible by November of '50, so we probably didn't play close attention to the introduction of the '51.

PeterFord    -- 01-19-2011 @ 4:00 PM
  Do you have a sedan or a truck? I have a 51 F1 pickup and am always interested in knowing who has my same year. I have an 8BA car engine in mine, so I am interested in car owners. Thanks. Peter

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1109