Topic: Eratic starter

voced    -- 08-14-2017 @ 5:01 AM
  My 36 sometimes acts like a low battery when you push the starter and other times it turns over like a new one. I have changed the starter switch, cables look like new and new 6 volt starter. I even put on extra grounds from frame to engine. Not sure where to go from here. Help appreciated. Jerry

sarahcecelia    -- 08-14-2017 @ 6:05 AM
  Sounds like a bad (dirty or loose) connection to me. clean all connections with 400 sandpaper and ensure that they are tight and clean.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-14-2017 @ 6:26 AM
  I would also think maybe the solenoid is bad. If it is it would, or could, operate erraticly. It has a set of contacts in it that take the full volts and amps, and those contacts may be badly burned!!

Regards, Steve Lee

voced    -- 08-14-2017 @ 4:48 PM
  It doesn't have a solenoid, it is the foot push starter switch. I also cleaned all the connections. I am thinking about putting on new cables, even those the ones that are on there look like new. Or if it could be the floor push starter switch. I put on a repo one from MAC.
Thanks,
Jerry

pauls39coupe    -- 08-14-2017 @ 7:00 PM
  If you are real carful you can take your floor mounted starter switch apart and clean and polish the contact surfaces. I would also have a load test done on the battery to see if it is OK.
Paul

voced    -- 08-15-2017 @ 4:18 AM
  Thanks guy's, I will give your idea's a try. It is embarrassing to be at a car show with this beautiful Cabriolet and it sometimes acts like it won't start. Otherwise it runs like a new one.
Jerry

len47merc    -- 08-15-2017 @ 4:23 AM
  Beautiful!

Steve

TomO    -- 08-15-2017 @ 6:16 AM
  Jerry, your 36 Cabriolet looks great.

When the cables or switch are corroded they can fail intermittently, but will always have a higher resistance than good ones. To check out the cables and the switch, do a voltage drop test.

To get a good connection in the following tests, clean the battery posts and cable openings before the tests.

Connect a voltmeter black or COM lead to the battery post and the red or + lead to the terminal on the starter.

Crank the engine with the ignition off and check the voltage reading. It should be 0.3 Volts or less.

If it is 0.3 V or less, your problem is not in the cables or switch. If it is higher, move the red lead to the next connection toward the battery, which should be the output of the starter switch.

The reading should now be 0.2 V or less, if it is, replace the cable, if it is higher, go to the other side of the starter switch and repeat the test.

The reading should now be 0.1 v or less. If it is the starter switch is the failing component. If it is higher, the battery cable is the culprit.

To check the grounding of the starter, connect the red lead to the + terminal of the battery and the black lead to the case of the starter. Crank the engine with the ignition off and read the meter. The reading should be 0.1V or lower.

Other things that can cause this problem are bad battery disconnect switch, weak brush springs, worn rear bushing in the starter motor and worn ignition rotor.

Tom

trjford8    -- 08-15-2017 @ 12:16 PM
  Look around for a new old stock or new old stock replacement switch. In the last few years going on tours,I have seen more than one of the repo starter switches fail. As others have said check everything else first, but my guess would be the switch.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-16-2017 @ 12:51 PM
  That "Foot push" is a solenoid!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-16-2017 @ 12:53 PM
  The "foot push" is a solenoid operated by your foot!

Regards, Steve Lee

voced    -- 08-17-2017 @ 5:40 AM
  Your right Steve it is a manual Solenoid. Thanks Tom for the voltage check, I will do that.
You guys are the best. Jerry

TomO    -- 08-17-2017 @ 6:39 AM

Definition of solenoid

: a coil of wire usually in cylindrical form that when carrying a current acts like a magnet so that a movable core is drawn into the coil when a current flows and that is used especially as a switch or control for a mechanical device (such as a valve)

The floor button activates a switch to connect the battery cable to the starter cable.

Tom

voced    -- 09-07-2017 @ 7:36 PM
  Thanks Tom for your electrical knowledge. I found the problem with the perfect looking cable from the switch to the starter. I replaced it with a heavy new one made up at my local NAPA store and it turns over like a new car. Jerry

sarahcecelia    -- 09-08-2017 @ 4:44 AM
  That's a foot push SOLENOID!

Regards, Steve Lee

ken ct.    -- 09-08-2017 @ 6:04 AM
  XXX 2 36's DONT have solinoids. ken ct

ken ct.    -- 09-08-2017 @ 6:09 AM
  Most guys refer to the one under the hood as a solenoid not the one on the floor board. ken ct.

TomO    -- 09-08-2017 @ 6:56 AM
  Glad that you solved your problem, Jerry.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11089