Topic: no fuel in sediment bowl

artron9    -- 08-11-2017 @ 3:07 PM
  Just installed a Dennis carpenter carb in my 52 v8. Pump was working fine before I made the change. Glass bowl is not filling with gas. I cleaned it installed a suggested Napa filter which seemed to fit perfectly. No gas. Should I prime the bowl? Its in a terrible location! What do you think?

cliftford    -- 08-11-2017 @ 7:25 PM
  Is the bowl gasket sealing? is the pump rod engaged in the pump lever? Has the flexible line been twisted or changed in any way? Since it was working before, these are the most likely problems.

artron9    -- 08-11-2017 @ 7:43 PM
  Thank you Cliftford! the sediment bowl was the only part I worked on at the pump. It seems to be well sealed. I wonder if the Napa 3039 filter is blocking the passage of fuel to the bowl? Maybe I will remove the connection at the bowl of the short flexible fuel line and look for evidence of gas?

cliftford    -- 08-11-2017 @ 9:27 PM
  Here's another thought: when you remove the pump, the gas line will drain all the way back to the tank. It may take some time for the new pump suck it back up to the sediment bowl, maybe 20-30 seconds. and you might take the outlet line loose from the pump, hold your thumb over the hole, crank the engine to see if you get any pressure.

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 4:22 AM
  I never touched the pump.I only removed the bowl and installed the gasket, filter and glass. I noticed also a spring in some of the ads for the bowl kit. Where does that install since I did not realize there should be one? Thanks Cliftford!

40 Coupe    -- 08-12-2017 @ 5:25 AM
  When you install the new filter remove the fine screen at the top of the pump just above the old gasket for the glass bowl. Some people install a spring between the bottom of the glass bowl and the paper filter. I am not sure it is necessary because the new filter should fit under the new gasket which will hold the filter in place. With the screen and old gasket removed simply push the filter over the center pipe. It should hang there. Then install the new gasket and the glass bowl and your done. The thumb wheel that tightens the glass bowl should only be tightened by hand. It can be over tightened and distort the die casting.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 8-12-17 @ 5:28 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 08-12-2017 @ 8:05 AM
  Disconnect the flex hose the connects the pump to the steel line from the tank. Put a piece of clear hose on the steel gas line from the tank. Suck on it and see if you draw any gas. If you do then you know where the problem is; somewhere with the pump; if you don't, the tank line, or tank filter is the problem. The pushrod might not be in the operating arm on the pump properly, flex line is kinked. or whatever. Primeing the fuel bowl is not the answer! If everything is working properly, the pump WILL DRAW THE FUEL!! And when you install the flex line to the pump-ALWAYS install it to the pump first, then to the steel tank line!You can also take the flexline off, crank the motor, and see if you have suction with your finger on the inlet of the pump. any, or all of this will give you the answer.

Regards, Steve Lee

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 10:39 AM
  Thanks to 40 coupe and Steve Lee. I will be trying your suggestions soon! Ron

sarahcecelia    -- 08-12-2017 @ 11:03 AM
  Error-"Operating rod on the pump arm IMPROPERLY" is what I meant. IE, Not seated on the pump arm. I find the easiest way to install the pump is when you have the old one off, turn the motor until the push rod is at it's lowest postion. That makes it easier to get the pump arm on it and seated properly.Then, while you hold it there, put the machine bolts on with a finger as far as you can, (and don't forget to put a very small dab of grease on any fastener before you install it.)That makes the thread in very easily and they don't bind so you get a false reading of when they are tight! When you torque anything, that is a must!!!, or you will get false readings. I lube anything I put together, it not only makes them thread easier, it makes them come apart easier at a later date!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-13-17 @ 9:57 AM

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 11:31 AM
  Great advice! Thanks Steve!

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-12-2017 @ 1:07 PM
  I had a similar problem after rebuilding my fuel pump. The sediment bowl would not fill up with gas. Turns out it just takes a long time and lots of cranking. Assuming everything is well sealed, I would fill the sediment bowl to the top with gas, install and tighten the adjusting nut. Then try cranking some more. You should see a little disturbance in the top of the bowl indicating gas is being pulled from the tank. I also found it helpful to spray some starter fluid in the carb throat to help it get started and get things flowing.
gregg

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 1:50 PM
  1937sedandelivery--did you use a filter in the bowl? Im wondering if the napa 3039 filter is causing a problem. It has a thin cardboard top which is perforated with tiny holes. I assume that gas is entering the top of the bowl and penetrates these tiny holes and works its way to the paper filter. Still not sure how the p-ump actually works?

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 5:41 PM
  Spoke with Ken ct. tonight. Had a very informative discussion with him. He is extremely knowledgable on Ford fuel problems. He mentioned something to me which I should have known if I had carefully looked at the diagram of the fuel bowl installation. It looks as though the filter is installed first, THEN the gasket, then the bowl. That could make all the difference. Ill check it out in the AM and get back to you. Thanks Ken!!

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 5:44 PM
  Forty Coupe thank you for your input which I should have read more than once cause you basically said the same thing as Ken!

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-12-2017 @ 7:38 PM
  Good you talked with Ken, he is the expert. Me, I just try things until they work...or don't then cry out for help.
Regarding the filter, I first installed it after the gasket and things leaked. Then installed it on top, followed by the gasket and no leak.
You must be close to solving this puzzle!

gregg

artron9    -- 08-12-2017 @ 8:25 PM
  Thanks Gregg! Sunday morning cant come soon enough!

artron9    -- 08-13-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  I did most everything everyone suggested. I am getting fuel to the flexible tube. Cranking til the battery weakens. Will charge and try later. Did not try to fill the bowl. Think I should? Since manual choke is not working yet, I closed the butterfly to about 1/8 inch.

cliftford    -- 08-13-2017 @ 8:02 AM
  You say you are getting fuel to the flexible line. Have you determined that the flex line itself does not have an air leak? you might undo the line and use a mityvac or similar device to see if it does, or just hold your finger on one end and suck on the other. Or just replace the flex line.

This message was edited by cliftford on 8-13-17 @ 8:03 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-13-2017 @ 8:32 AM
  I would fill the bowl, else it takes a long time for the pump to fill it. The carb won't get any gas until the bowl is full.
gregg

sarahcecelia    -- 08-13-2017 @ 8:45 AM
  NOBODY GIVES YOU A PART YOU DON'T NEED!!! That spring costs themmoney; why would they give it to you if it wasn't needed?? That would not be good business. Good business is when you give the customer only what is needed!! Henry Ford didn't put one extra nut, bolt, or screw in a car that wasn't needed. One extra, (even if it only cost 5 cents) on 100,000 car would cost a lot of money, and he wasn't a fool!! That spring is ensuring that the filter stays where it is supposed to be!!! PUT IT IN where it's supposed to be!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

ken ct.    -- 08-13-2017 @ 8:55 AM
  This guy uses a tourk wrench on fuel pump bolts ive seen it all now lol ken ct.

artron9    -- 08-13-2017 @ 12:10 PM
  Steve thanks for your input! I dont see that spring in the diagram 0n page 79 in the 1952-54 ford shop manual? However, i'm still trying to get my engine running!

artron9    -- 08-13-2017 @ 12:12 PM
  Brand new flex line ! THANKS Cliftford!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11079