Topic: Rouge Division - Door/Window/Vent Seals

len47merc    -- 08-10-2017 @ 7:31 AM
  In advance of ordering new door/window/cowl vent seals for the '47 I reviewed the judging criteria for the Rouge Division and corresponding 'Allowable replacement parts for original vehicles shall be limited to:' list and do not see where door/window/cowl vent seals, weatherstripping of any kind, is allowed. My reference document is that shown in the 2014 Roster of Members so it may be a bit dated.

Given this car is driven, and is planned to be driven, long distances I need to change the original seals out to ensure no water intrusion from the unavoidable wet weather likely to be encountered, but conversely I do not want to diminish or compromise the Rouge and Rouge Medallion Awards the car has already earned. Perhaps these seals are considered to fall under the '...items which might affect safety...' exclusion - ?

If any of you have any advice or experience in this regard your input is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Kens 36    -- 08-10-2017 @ 8:11 AM
  Steve,

The Rouge judging standards are in the National Judging Manual, available on this website. In the column on the left, choose National Club Information, then Forms. You should see the Manual there. Incidentally, the Rouge judging standards are unchanged since 2014.

The seals would likely not fall into the "safety" exception. However, the standard requires that the area being considered, in this case Exterior, be 90% original. If your Mercury is still very close to original, the seals should not be considered more than 10% "restored".

Ken

len47merc    -- 08-10-2017 @ 8:42 AM
  Thanks Ken - your reference to the '90% original' was the only remaining window of opportunity I could find. Appreciate your reply and redirection to the most current judging standards now documented on the site here.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11072