Topic: Rope seals

jimbomac    -- 08-09-2017 @ 6:31 AM
  Are rope seals the best way to go in a 51-53 flathead, or are there better options, rubber seals, etc? Thanks!

51f1    -- 08-09-2017 @ 1:30 PM
  Unless something has come out recently that I'm not aware of, you are stuck with a rear rope seal. The front seal may still be available in a modern version. I have rope seals. The front seal does not leak. The rear seal does leak a bit. I probably could have installed the rear seal better. I forgot to use sealant between the bearing cap and block.

It wouldn't be a Ford, or any other old car for that matter, if it didn't leak. (Also, you know you have oil in the engine if it's leaking.)

Richard

pauls39coupe    -- 08-09-2017 @ 6:30 PM
  We have had good luck with Graftight rear seals made by the Best Gasket Co. They are available from Speedway and others. The one piece front seal seems to work so far. Opinions and results may vary.
Paul

sarahcecelia    -- 08-11-2017 @ 7:50 AM
  I have installed a few "rope seals " in my time, and none leaked. I never used any sealer. None leaked. You have to soak them in oil for a while before you install them, and make sure that they are just a little long so the butt's of them fit tight, and put the seams betweeen the two halves at 10 and 4 o'clock, or 2 an 8 o'clock. If you put them at 9 and 3 o'clock, they are going to leak right from the "git-go!!"

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-11-2017 @ 7:52 AM
  R_O_P_E!!! A rubber seal in oil will swell out of shape! Rubber does not like oil!!! It must be a composit your talking about.

Regards, Steve Lee

supereal    -- 08-13-2017 @ 1:32 PM
  Rope seals usually seep a bit, but it does lube the contact with the crankshaft. For years I have kept seals in a tin can with a tight lid filled with motor oil. I use them as needed and put a replacement in the container. If new seals length are trimmed, they will leak. They need to be forced place when the oil pan is installed to produce a tight fit as they swell. When we rebuild an engine, we caution the owner about using synthetic oil. It will creep into very tight places, which makes it a good and necessary product for newer cars, but is likely to increase leakage in older models. Last year we had a complaint from the owner of a GTO about our rebuild. Sure enough, he forgot our word of caution, and returning to conventional oil fixed the problem.

51f1    -- 08-14-2017 @ 6:09 AM
  Sarahcecelia:

Seals that people refer to as rubber are actually a synthetic product such as neoprene which has been used at least since WWII. They won't swell.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11061