Topic: Align Headlights

Dream38v8    -- 08-08-2017 @ 4:25 AM
  I need to align the headlights on my '38 DeLuxe Fordor. The procedure sounds easy after I get the headlight rim off. That is the problem. I removed the single screw at the bottom of the rim. It appears as if the former owner sealed the cork gasket to the rim and the car. I've tried to use fishing line and picture hanging wire to no avail. I can not break the seal. The rim will not budge. Any and all advice would be welcome.

Ray

TomO    -- 08-08-2017 @ 6:29 AM
  If the gasket was glued on, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover will probably soften the glue and allow you to remove the rim. Squirt some around the rim and try to move the bottom of the rim side to side and away from the fender. Most auto supply stores carry the Adhesive Remover and it will not harm paint in good condition.

If that does not work, you will have to use a nylon pry tool to loosen the bottom edge enough to allow you to pry the rest of the rim away from the fender so you can move the top of the rim up to release it from the tab on the bucket.

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 08-08-2017 @ 9:39 AM
  Thanks Tom. I am just heading out to the auto store for a filter. Thanks Again. I'll let you know how your suggestion works.

Ray

woodiewagon46    -- 08-08-2017 @ 1:10 PM
  I had the hardest time getting the headlight trim ring off the drivers side of my '46. I had to use plastic trim removal tools and feeler gauges to get it off. I used the feeler gauges as sort of a saw and worked it up and down between the ring and gasket. In my case I think the cork gasket was the culprit. It took a while because I didn't want to screw up the ring so take it easy. Let us know how you make out.

Dream38v8    -- 08-14-2017 @ 2:44 PM
  The feeler gauge works the best. When I remove it it is full of adhesive. I clean it off and try again. I am also using "goof off" adhesive remover. Still no movement on the ring. The headlight lens is free as I can move it around.

Same subject different item. I wanted to clean the fog light lens. The ring was easy to remove, but the lens is glued tight. I'll work on that later. I am not sure what the previous owner was afraid would happen.

Ray

TomO    -- 08-15-2017 @ 6:21 AM
  The 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover works much better than Goof Off and because it was made for body shop use, it will not harm the paint or leave a residue.

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 09-04-2017 @ 9:43 AM
  I've been using the 3M adhesive remover for the past 2 hours. I can run a .012 feeler gauge around the rim. It appears as if the rim has hidden fasteners. The rim will not budge. Also the headlight lens moves freely behind the headlight rim. From what I understand the rim has a single screw at the bottom which I removed and is hinged at the top. What am I missing?

Ray

shogun1940    -- 09-04-2017 @ 4:45 PM
  Show us a picture

fordv8j    -- 09-04-2017 @ 5:43 PM
  it ha a place on each side of the bucket that the rim snaps over,its about half way up the rim, these comes off very hard sometimes

fordv8j    -- 09-04-2017 @ 5:43 PM
  it ha a place on each side of the bucket that the rim snaps over,its about half way up the rim, these comes off very hard sometimes

Dream38v8    -- 09-05-2017 @ 5:42 AM
  Thanks Fordv8j. This is the first I have heard about the snapon. Do I pry up from the bottom of the rim? In other words what is the best way pry the rim off? Currently the rim feels like the bottom screw is still attached. I do not want to bend the rim.

Ray

Dream38v8    -- 09-08-2017 @ 12:45 PM
  Shogun1940 asked for a pic of the headlight rim. Also the gasket now is basically free of the rim and I still can not remove the rim. It feels as if there are hidden fasteners somewhere.

Help!

Ray

fordv8j    -- 09-08-2017 @ 6:10 PM
  there are little bumps ,one on each side of the bucket, about half way up the bucket, the rim snaps over them, so you need to pry there, once you get them off you may bend the tabs a little so they don't fit so tight, I always tape around the light with masking tape to prevent chips

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-08-2017 @ 10:10 PM
  Hello,
Some pics may help. Check out page 8 in the attached pdf.
Good luck, it does take some careful prying to snap the rims off. If you have some kind of hooked tool that can grab underneath the rim where the tab is, that would help. Once you get one to break loose, the other come off pretty readily.
gregg

Dream38v8    -- 09-09-2017 @ 4:18 AM
  Fordv8j and Gregg, Thanks for the further clarification. The pic on page 8 is a great help. I will go to work removing the rim after my grandson's soccer game today. I hope to be able post a positive result before the weekend is over. Again thanks for the hint and pics.

Ray

fordv8j    -- 09-09-2017 @ 6:55 AM
  just checked a 38 headlight bucket...the snaps are about 3/4 way up the bucket

Dream38v8    -- 09-10-2017 @ 9:10 AM
  A BIG thank you to both Fordv8j and 1937sedandelivery (Gregg). I finally had the time to get back to removing the headlight rim. The adhesive was not holding the rim on, but the headlight bucket and its associated gasket. It was the rim retention tabs that were holding the rim extremely tight. Now I can align the headlights. Also after reviewing the pdf file Gregg sent I confirmed I have the original headlight lens.

Again, thanks to everyone. This forum has been a great asset to me while I work on my '38.

BTW my grandson's soccer team lost one and won one yesterday.

Ray

fordv8j    -- 09-10-2017 @ 9:41 AM
  glad you got them off, the 38 lense has 81A on the bottom of them, the 37 has 78 on them, we have a 38 dlx coupe and a 38 conv. coupe....love the 38s

Dream38v8    -- 09-12-2017 @ 8:13 AM
  Fordv8j thanks for the info relating to the headlight lens marking. My lens are marked "78" which you stated are for a 1937 Ford. My Ford is a '38 Deluxe Fordor / 81a. I do not know whether these lens are original to the car or not. From what I have read on this website and the Early Times V8 magazine Ford used inventory until it was exhausted. Therefore my "78" lens could be original on my "81a". One of those mysteries lost to time.

Ray

fordv8j    -- 09-12-2017 @ 5:44 PM
  you could be right, Ole Henry didn't waste anything, but if you had it point judged they may deduct points, I like to hear about 38s, been driving my dlx. coupe since 1964, conv. since 2009

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11059