Topic: Ground locations 36 club cab

Bob56    -- 08-07-2017 @ 4:27 AM
  Car starts and runs but none of the lights work so I am assuming it is possibly a ground situation. Can you tell me all the ground locations that I should be looking for

TomO    -- 08-07-2017 @ 6:44 AM
  The wiring diagram shows only the strap from the battery to the frame. If the car starts and runs and the gauges work, the problem is most likely in the light switch.

Check for voltage at the failing bulb, if there is at least 5 volts there the bulb should light. The ground connection would be to the bucket, then the fender and then the frame back to the battery.

Tom

Bob56    -- 08-07-2017 @ 8:29 AM
  Found a blown fuse bit when I replace it, it immediately blows again. The wire comes off the left side of the fuse block where the other fuse is.

40 Coupe    -- 08-08-2017 @ 3:57 AM
  Check the fuse under the dash next to the ignition resistor. Sounds as if it is open circuit. Battery ground cable + connects to the U-joint housing cap. If this ground connection was bad the car starter motor would not run.

JM    -- 08-08-2017 @ 4:07 AM
  It sounds to me like you have a current carrying part or wire that has somehow become grounded. Maybe a pinched wire, or a wire with damage/degraded insulation thats touching ground. You could disconnect the bwttery, then remove all the wires attached to the left side of fuse, and then check each wire individually to determine which one might have a reading to ground when using an ohmmeter. Think about what was worked on last, and check that area first.

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-8-17 @ 4:11 AM

TomO    -- 08-08-2017 @ 7:12 AM
  According to the wiring diagram, the terminal with the yellow /red tracer wire is the only fused wire. The other terminal is connected to the battery by the thick yellow wire.

The fused wire goes to the light switch at the bottom of the steering column.

I would connect the alligator clip of a test light to the terminal connected to the battery with the fuse removed and the lights off, touch the probe to the other terminal. If the light glows, you have a short, probably in the light switch or the wire leading to it.

If it does not glow, I would isolate half of the circuit by disconnecting the passenger side lights and the driver's side lights at the bullet connectors and the tail lights at the under-hood bullet connectors. Then turn on the light switch and test in each position (low beam, high beam and parking lights). Because the bulbs are not connected, the test light should not light, if it does, there is a short in the switch or the wires leading to the lights.

If it does not light, you will have to remove the light bulbs and connect one headlight at a time to isolate which one has the short. If the light still does not light, remove the tail light bulbs and reconnect the tail lights.

When you have found the short, restore the wire connections in the same order as they were removed and test each circuit after restoration.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-8-17 @ 7:19 AM

Bob56    -- 08-09-2017 @ 3:30 AM
  I was called out of town for work. when I get home Friday I will try these things. Sounds like a busy weekend. Thank you

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11057