Topic: 40 Ford V-8 Cooling System "Pop"

Sporty40    -- 04-15-2010 @ 9:09 AM
  About 2 minutes after the guage indicates normal temperature, the sound of a "pop" resembling that of a gallon can popping out a dent when filled with air comes from the front of the engine. After replacing the water pumps with Skips, the engine does not overheat at any speed. Upon cooling down, I can hear the same "pop" somewhere up front. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

deluxe40    -- 04-15-2010 @ 9:30 AM
  It might be the top tank on the radiator flexing. Are you running a pressure radiator cap? My radiator guy added two braces between the front and back of the top tank when I told him I wanted to run a 4 lb. cap. Look carefully at the shape of the front of the tank when cool and then after you hear the POP.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 4-15-10 @ 9:32 AM

ford38v8    -- 04-15-2010 @ 4:20 PM
  Sporty, DeLuxe hit the nail on the head for you. Early radiators were not engineered to use pressure caps. When freshening up one of these radiators, a good radiator shop will, upon request, solder internal supports to prevent oil canning, which will eventually cause a leak at the solder joints.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 4-15-10 @ 4:21 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 04-16-2010 @ 5:50 AM
  my 40 running a NOS radiator with Skips pumps and following his instructions, 4 lb cap, etc did the same thing, except it buldged out and has not yet returned to normal--I left it alone-if it ain't broke don't fix it.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-16-2010 @ 6:16 AM
  I was thinking about hanging a coolant tank, and NO pressure cap, this way the coolant will not get lost and keep the radiator full and no radiator problems ?
this would be a tempory tank that easily be removed if need be,placed on the inner fender panel
what are your thoughts on this,????
I also have Skips pumps and have bought his valve but Have NOT Installed the Valve, as of yet,.
I drive my car, and really do not loose too much coolant if not used in much traffic,as loog as it stays a little cool,
37RAGTOPMAN
at some of the car shows have seen the aluminum tank on some of the cars that are driven to the show,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-16-10 @ 6:17 AM

Sporty40    -- 04-16-2010 @ 8:23 AM
  Deluxe40, Alan, Alan & 37RAGTOPMAN, I am running a 4 pound cap but appear to have no leakage at this time. The extra radiator supports and an expansion tank sound like good ideas. Thanks for your comments!

Alan

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2010 @ 1:28 PM
  Wow. Three Alans on one post. We should start our own exclusive club!

Alan

Sporty40    -- 04-16-2010 @ 2:05 PM
  We should find out who's the oldest! I'm 70 but most likely the least knowledgeable about old Fords. My first car in high school was 1946 Mercury Convert, then a '49 Ford 2 door followed by a '53 Hardtop.

Stroker    -- 04-16-2010 @ 2:51 PM
  Although my name isn't "Alan", us Geezers should form a club of 70 Plus types. We could call it the ELDER Ford V8 Club of America. Sort of a geriatric version of the original, except instead of suggesting Marvel Mystery Oil for all our woe's, we would prescribe Geritol.

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2010 @ 3:00 PM
  I guess I'm the youngest. I won't be 70 till next August!

Alan

TomO    -- 04-16-2010 @ 4:47 PM
  I would rather know who is the youngest, so he can carry on the tradition. Us older (75+) guys will probably be around for just another 25 or so years and we need younger guys to take over.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2010 @ 7:45 PM
  Ya know... with regard to the original question on this post, it seems that my own personal cooling system goes "pop" almost every time my left foot hits the ground. Anyone else have that problem?

Alan

39 Ken    -- 04-17-2010 @ 5:09 AM
  A couple of years ago at the Eastern National meet, Craig Gorris announced at the Judges/Owners meeting that the average age of all the EFV8 members was 72 years young. And so it appears that you're already a member of the over Seventy EFV8 club. Looks like us ole fahts had better start recuiting younger members. Ken

trjford8    -- 04-17-2010 @ 8:05 AM
  Sure feels good to be a "young guy" at 65!

39Fordfan    -- 04-17-2010 @ 6:18 PM
  I guess I get the "Young Guy" award for today as I am 49. My car is 71.

I notice that in my area a lot of the older guys in the EFV-8 club go out of their way to NOT pay attention to us younger guys. I'm not sure if they don't respect us because their old enough to be our fathers or that we don't "belong" because these cars are before our time. Not everyone is like this but a large percentage is.

Maybe they're just shy. Maybe they think because I'm a young guy (I actually look like I could be in my 30's) that I will be a wise-guy. So if you see a young guy driving an old car go say h*llo, you might just make his day or make a new friend.

ford38v8    -- 04-17-2010 @ 10:36 PM
  39Fordfan, I can't imagine where you might live to be feeling as you do about EFV8CA members.
I've been in the club since I was your age, and have felt just the opposite as you have. I've been many places and met V8ers from all over, and the feeling virtually everywhere is to welcome the youngsters to carry on the tradition.
You should be at an Awards Banquet to hear the deafening applause when a young man wins a well deserved award.
We all actively recruit the younger generation to our ranks, and help them all we can.
I'm quite sure that what you've felt was a very local thing, not representative of our membership at all. I do hope you give it a chance, as I guess some of us old coots must be getting crotchety! Once they get to remember your name, they might not be so shy?

Alan

TomO    -- 04-18-2010 @ 7:57 AM
  39Fordfan, Some of us older guys forget our manners when we get together with friends and old cars. At a National meet, I would hope that you find more people interested in your car and you.

Ask the older guys questions about your car and their cars to break the ice. It usually works.

Tom

Sporty40    -- 04-18-2010 @ 9:23 AM
  Young guys are the future of the club and hold the keys to carrying on the traditions. We older "youngsters" appreciate what all age groups have to offer in experience, knowledge, ability and friendship.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1105