Topic: in line fuel filter

artron9    -- 08-03-2017 @ 3:41 PM
  Hi guys! Just bought a 52 Crestline. I will take the gas tank down at some point but for now I would like to install a separate fuel filter. Can you give me some idea where to install it and what type. I have a v8. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

TomO    -- 08-04-2017 @ 7:42 AM
  There should be a filter in the sediment bowl and an external one will require extra connections on the input side of the fuel pump. This will create 2 more chances for vacuum leaks that make it difficult for the fuel pump to prime itself.

Here is a link to Rock Auto and a filter that should work in your sediment bowl.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1953,customline,3.9l+239cid+v8,1339174,fuel+&+air,fuel+filter,6200

Tom

artron9    -- 08-04-2017 @ 10:14 AM
  Thank you Tom for your input. I will look into that! Ron

supereal    -- 08-04-2017 @ 1:41 PM
  Best place to install an inline filter is as close to the tank as possible. We use a metal cased type, rather than the plastic When you connect the filter to the line, observe the flow arrow, and use the screw type hose clamps rather than the spring type.

len47merc    -- 08-04-2017 @ 3:12 PM
  I have to go back to TomO's comment - there should be a filter in your sediment bowl on the fuel pump. While my car arrived with a clear fuel filter in the fuel line oriented vertically between the frame and the 90 degree turn to the flex line to the fuel pump against the driver's side of the firewall, I later found out as Tom stated it was 2 additional opportunities for vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks in a fuel line can be confusing to diagnose and produce weird engine performance problems. Once I had the fuel cell cleaned and sealed and the fuel line known to be clean, and had the knowledge of the filter in the sediment bowl, it became an easy choice to remove the aftermarket filter and return the car to stock. You would do well to follow Tom's advice.

If you have to have another filter (e.g., for peace of mind), supereal's comments are on the mark.

Steve

39 Ken    -- 08-05-2017 @ 5:18 AM
  The sediment bowl filter appears to filter from the inside out
based on how the fuel seems to flow through the pump. Can those
of you using this filter arrangement confirm this?
Ken

ken ct.    -- 08-05-2017 @ 2:32 PM
  Any NAPA store has filters that will fit in there #3039 ,use a hard ware store for a spring and use a correct fitting cork gasket there. I have them if you cant find one. ken ct.

Big Red 51    -- 08-05-2017 @ 6:58 PM
  ken ct times two. The NAPA 3039 is perfect for the sediment bowel and lessens your chance for a vacuum leak.

artron9    -- 08-16-2017 @ 7:07 PM
  Hi Ken
Can you send me two gaskets and two filters for my fuel pump? I should keep them for future use. Do have any oil filters? What else can I get from you? I would rather give you the business than some of those clowns out there! I will send the pumps back to you tomorrow. Thanks Ron Hagopian

sarahcecelia    -- 08-16-2017 @ 7:19 PM
  Mac's has sediment bowl filters.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11048