Topic: 37 trunk shelf restoration

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-03-2017 @ 9:23 AM
  Hello,
I plan to restore the wooden shelf in the trunk of my 37 Fordor Slantback.

From the 1937 Ford Book, page 3-21:
"The shelf covering the spare was made of plywood with back wood preservative and was covered with black Morocco grain embossed paper."

Can anyone tell me where to get the preservative and paper? Or the closest alternative that would be acceptable for a restoration?

The wood is in fairly poor condition, it is warped, cracked and some pieces missing. I plan to glue and clamp what makes sense.

Appreciate the help/advice.
gregg

trjford8    -- 08-04-2017 @ 9:44 AM
  You could use a black wood stain for preservative. MinWax makes a black stain that I have used. Not sure , but Bob Drake may have the grained paper. You may be able to save the board by gluing and clamping the areas that have split, but I think your best bet would be to make a new cover. You might also check with Roy Nacewicz(www.fordbolts.com) who is making some wood parts. Perhaps he may have one or use yours for a pattern.

42oink    -- 08-10-2017 @ 9:30 AM
  Greetings, It has been awhile , but I got some of that paper for the trunk of my 37 Ford from Roy Naciewicz. Check and see if he still carries it. If you decide to remake the board itself, a man, who must be a draftsman, sent me a very detailed plan for making a new one. Placement of holes, radius of corners, everything. If you would like, I can send you a copy of it. Just let me know. Good luck . 42oink

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-10-2017 @ 2:16 PM
  Thanks guys,
I will call Roy tomorrow, there are a few other nuts and bolts I need from him anyway.
42oink, I am going to try to repair the existing wood, but would appreciate you sending me the dimensioned copy in case I need to go that route.
my email address: loslucas@q.com

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-12-2017 @ 11:21 AM
  FYI,
I talked with Roy. He no longer carries the paper. He does have some stain. Per his catalog:

"Special wood stain to simulate the original Ford finish on wood floor boards. We had this stain especially formulated
to match the appearance of the preservative originally applied
by Ford."

He also told me the spare tire shelf was painted black, as opposed to being stained. The stain mentioned above is for the floorboards. BTW, he said that he was working with another fellow who was gearing up to make the original floorboards again. I plan to hit him up for that.

Thanks,
Gregg

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 8-12-17 @ 7:39 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11047